Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winchester Sx2 Double Feed Problem

brass-hog

I was shooting a stage at a match today with my SX2. After I popped off the third shot the gun fed two shells pinning the bolt back creating a jam. I have never had this happen before. I was shooting heavy game loads. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks.

I had a Browning Gold (same gun) that did this too. The problem with mine was that the spring was too long/intercepter was too short. It was a combination of the two that I fixed at the same time. If it only happened once and hasn't happened again, call it a fluke. If it happens again, you may want to start with a new magazine spring. If that doesn't work, you can tweak the latch that holds the shells in the tube. The heavy game loads shouldn't be an issue as it is meant to shoot heavy duck loads by design. Also, pull the trigger group out and give it a good bath then inspect the springs/pins that make up the carrier assembly. You might have some gunk (sorry about the technical terms) in the spring that allows the carrier to feed the chamber.

Hope this helps..

Mike

After about 2500 rounds mine did the same thing a couple of times. I replaced the intercepter latch spring with a stronger spring. I think I got it from Dave Neth's dad up in Idaho. Fixed the problem and it hasn't come back, be sure to put 50 to 100 rounds through it after the new spring just to check things out. Keith

I had a Browning Gold (same gun) that did this too. The problem with mine was that the spring was too long/intercepter was too short. It was a combination of the two that I fixed at the same time. If it only happened once and hasn't happened again, call it a fluke. If it happens again, you may want to start with a new magazine spring. If that doesn't work, you can tweak the latch that holds the shells in the tube. The heavy game loads shouldn't be an issue as it is meant to shoot heavy duck loads by design. Also, pull the trigger group out and give it a good bath then inspect the springs/pins that make up the carrier assembly. You might have some gunk (sorry about the technical terms) in the spring that allows the carrier to feed the chamber.

Hope this helps..

Mike

The browning gold is different than the sx2. I have found that almost all of the wal-mart Winchesters will double feed. After much investigation it was because the shells are to short. If the OAL of the the shell is less than 2.245" long (I think, I'm not at home to look at my notes) then the shell will double feed. I has to do with the auto feed feature on the browning. The sx2 MAY do this with really short short shells. It may be something to check out.

Scott

I have to COMPLETELY agree with Scott - I have seen this problem a lot but only because of short shells - if the shell is 70mm fired and at least 57mm long (unfired) then the gun should function perfectly with zero double feeds like described - in the UK we use a lot of short 65mm shells and these cause these effects all the time - I just didnt think that you US guys used anything less than 70mm shells.

Well on the el-cheepo (i.e., winchester game loads from wal-mart) shells they run them at such high speed on the manufacturing machines that quality control is VERY low and they come out all sorts of lengths, even in the same box.

Scott

The Winchester loads seem to have a square end that my gun doesn't like, the Remington shells have a more rounded end that feeds much better, at least for me. Once in a while a slug will hang up and I think this is a length issue. Keith

• 2 weeks later...

OK , let me see if I got all this. My SX2 ran well for the first couple years and then I broke the pin that holds the shell latch under the ejection port at the TX 3 gun. I replaced it and all looked well but now I get these problems with the magtube/shell latch releasing a round under the bolt (when closed) so I can't reload through the loading port. The mag spring had rusted and broken so I replaced it with an equal length spring from Brownell's. I'm not sure if that spring is the same power but the length was very close.

Is the spring that powers the shell latch the problem or is it the magtube spring (or both?)

I like the SX2 but it hasn't been 100% reliable lately like it was even though I replaced all the parts....

Suggestions?

Other than buy a Benelli as I may anyway...

Mick

A27257