Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Idpa Winter Championships Question

XAFSP

I watched the coverage of the IDPA winter championships on Shooting USA yesterday and noticed something not right. I thought that IDPA required that competitors wear something to conceal the firearm. yet 90% of the shooters featured did not. I know that the COF may require not using one but this was in different stages.

What is it if you are a popular enough shooter you don't have to follow the rules???

Tim

Edited by XAFSP

I never shot IDPA in my life but i have seen the same show you did. If I'm not mistaken, the stages on which they where not wearing a vest were those on which the starts had the gun NOT on the body, such as in a drawer and so on. I have no idea about IDPA rules but I would say it doesn't make sense to force concealment if the gun doesn't start concealed to begin with.

Several of the stages had starting positions where your firearm was not on you (i.e., retrieve from a desk draw, etc) and were simulating you being at home where you're probably not wearing concealment. I don't remember the order of the stages as they where presented on the show but I think the two main stages they showed were both on the commercial range and both started from a dresser or desk draw (one you started seated in a lounge chair).

Guys, don't read into it too much. Most of the shooters you saw on the program were not competitors in the match. They were the younger scoutten, the S&W CEO (who never shot before), S&W VP of marketing and possibly a couple of other Shooting USA staff including of course Jim Scoutten himself. Many of the people had never shot it before and were trying it out as a promo. When they did show actual competitors like Sevigny, Jarrett, Strader, Koenig, and Zitta, they were all wearing concealment. I shot the match, and almost all of the stages required it.

Mike

Guys, don't read into it too much. Most of the shooters you saw on the program were not competitors in the match. They were the younger scoutten, the S&W CEO (who never shot before), S&W VP of marketing and possibly a couple of other Shooting USA staff including of course Jim Scoutten himself. Many of the people had never shot it before and were trying it out as a promo. When they did show actual competitors like Sevigny, Jarrett, Strader, Koenig, and Zitta, they were all wearing concealment. I shot the match, and almost all of the stages required it.

Mike

I also forgot to mention as MAShooter stated that Stages 1 and 2 (which were shown first) were home invasion stages where you were at home relaxing and the guns were not on your person at the start sorry.

And from what I remembered, Stages 1 and 2 were the only ones that you could really get a chance to see and video tape. Everything else was kind of tight getting a film crew in there.

Does anyone know when the applications for 2007 S&W match will be coming out?

And from what I remembered, Stages 1 and 2 were the only ones that you could really get a chance to see and video tape. Everything else was kind of tight getting a film crew in there.

Does anyone know when the applications for 2007 S&W match will be coming out?

I have not seen mine yet, but I would expect it at any time.

Thanks Julie!! I was coming in to ask about applications

Jerry

Most welcome!

Julie

Hi everyone!

I have been receiving a number of emails about mailing applications. We will accept applications by US Mail, UPS, FedEx, UPS, DHL or any other type of parcel carrier. Hand delivered applications will not be accepted.

Thanks so much!

All the best,

Julie

• 2 months later...

fyi

Just got off the phone with the match hotel , Best Western, W Spgfld. 413-781-8750

The block of rooms allotted to the match is dwindling. If you haven't already, call direct & make your res. Make sure to mention S&W WinterChampionship to get the $62 rate.

See you there !