Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Just When You Thought The World Was Safe

chunger

Just when I thought I was all set up to reload in peace, I recieved an Ebay shipment of 2000 once fired "Speer 45 Auto" marked brass. . . Something looked a bit fishy, and I popped out a couple of primers to find some are .210 and some are .175. :wacko:

I thought speer was all safe and good in .45 ACP, but appearantly not. There are no differences in the headstamp markings. Just small primers on some and large primers in others. I opened one sealed bag and found 74 standard primer casings and 178 small primer ones. I hope the guy will refund me for the small primer ones.

-'Chung

Edited by chunger

:angry: This is the most uncoolest of thing ever. . . 719 of 1000 are small primer in the batch that I bought.

Nice how the headstamps are identical, eh? Beware Speer has gone to the dark side.

Speercases.jpg

Edited by chunger

Now all isn't lost, you have a great opportunity to screw with someone else. Shoot the small primer stuff at the next couple lost brass matches or at a match where someone is hogging all the brass whether it belongs to them or not.

:angry: This is the most uncoolest of things ever. . . 719 of 1000 are small primer in the batch that I bought.

Nice how the headstamps are identical, eh? Beware Speer has gone to the dark side.

Speercases.jpg

I'd be glad to buy the small primer stuff from you. It saves me the time need to swap out the small primer punch on my XL-650,

I haven't run into any problems running it through my .45s. Has anybody noticed any problems with it.

Sam Spiteri

I'd be glad to buy the small primer stuff from you. It saves me the time need to swap out the small primer punch on my XL-650,

I haven't run into any problems running it through my .45s. Has anybody noticed any problems with it.

Sam Spiteri

Hi Sam,

I might take you up on that. . . I have another box of Speer coming from the same guy. If it's the same ratios, I should have definitely more than 1000 mabe 1500 good looking, clean, all Speer small primer casings for you. It will be an almost full flat rate box. I'll let you know what the final count is in the next couple of days.

-'Chung

Edited by chunger

Why would some be small primers?

Are they trying to "move" everything into a one size primer for all/most calibers?

Doesn't that alter the reloading "specs"?

That's probably enough questions...sorry. :rolleyes:

I think they went to small primers for the 'clean' factor, i.e. lead free primers.

I haven't changed any of my reloading specs (although I did start lower and work up just to be safe) and the reloads still chrono the same, by YMMV depending on what powder you use.

Sam Spiteri

Final count. . . 454 large primer. . . 1566 small primer.

And my eyes hurt. . . not a fun sort :blink::blink::blink:

Watch out for M&H Enterprises on Ebay. He has a couple more auctions active now for batches of 1000 "Speer 45 ACP" brass. If they're from the same lot, I'd bet your ratios will be very similar to what I just got in terms of small primer and large primer. . .and they'll be a bugger to sort. I emailed him informing him of the problem with this batch of Speer brass, but it seems he's ignoring me. . . plus, he has not made mention of the mixed primers in his new listings.

Edited by chunger

yep it is the pc "clean" crap they are pushing to the yuppies, i haven't heard of any accidents yet, but my first run in was on my press about a year ago, darn primer would seat, as i pulled the lever it was a no go, i removed the case, and thought wtf, this could get someone seriously hurt, it is not something you want to pass onto someone unknowing

manufacturers fixing a non existent problem

As I wanted the small primer brass I did make an order to M&H Enterprises on Ebay as

"He has a couple more auctions active now for batches of 1000 "Speer 45 ACP" brass. If they're from the same lot, I'd bet your ratios will be very similar to what I just got in terms of small primer and large primer. . .and they'll be a bugger to sort."

They arrived today and it's about the same ratio, although I haven't counted it all yet.

So, if you don't want small primer .45 ACP brass don't order from him. But I'm happy.

Also, if any of you are saving you small primer .45 ACP brass and want to get rid of it, let me know.

Sam Spiteri