Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why Is Production Scored Minor?

ihatepickles

I realized while talking to a friend I have no idea *why* Production is only scored minor. So, does anyone know the reasons or the history of this decision?

Vince Pinto says the division was intended to allow for 9mm to be competitive. Personally I like the increased emphasis it places on accuracy.....

I believe the main reason was to allow a broad spectrum of guns to compete in the division using 10 round magazines. Scoring all guns minor allows all guns to actually compete on an equal footing, assuming they can get 10 rounds in their magazine. Naturally to achieve the best results handloading is required for the 40-45 guns to get them closer to the minor power factor floor.

Gary

Whether is was the intended reason or not, the minor-only 10-round only USPSA production makes a lot of normally non-competitive guns become reasonable competitive. Well, at least useably competitive. Take the Ruger autos. Nice guns. Big, built like tanks, limited accessories. Not very good for USPSA. But most of them can play in Production and at least be useable for John Q Newbie who already has one.

And on the other side of the coin, people would whine if minor PF 9's were scored as if they were Major in one division and not in another (there were early proposals to score everybody Major in PD)

Sure, that part is obvious to me. Minor is still minor, no need to bump the scoring values.

I'm curious why we don't have a Production major and a Production minor? Before this takes on a mind of it's own, I'm not saying this should be changed... I'm just curious why there's no Production major.

Uh, maybe 'cause you're shooting minor loads???

You're missing the point of what I'm asking. Everything in Production is scored minor, why was the division created this way? Why is there no distinction for Production handguns with 10mm projectiles and 165 PF loads?

Because 9mm had virtually been removed from all USPSA/IPSC competition. IDPA was sucking members who wanted to shoot their glock 9mm, beretta 9mm. and many other 9 mil guns.

Police Duty guns at the time were still vastly 9mm. It was created in 9mm to help get some business from/ and cross business with IDPA SSP class. And to give production guns a place where "all calibers are created equal. By allowing major in this division we could not shoot 9mm competitively.

Pretty simple:

Because if you could shoot major, minor guns wouldn't be competetive...

The partials and movers eat your lunch against major when you are shooing minor.

You don't see any of the big dogs shooting limited minor for a good reason, and with limited minor you can get more rounds in. If the round limit is at 10, there is no scoring advantage to minor since you lose much more points for non A hits.

Some might argue that you can shoot minor faster, but my experiments haven't shown that though and I don't think you can shoot fast enough to make up for the dropped points, or the professionals would be doing it.