Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I use Outlook for email. I could use something else but have been too lazy to look.

Anyway, I get a freaking ton of garbage in my email. My ISP does not do a good job of filtering or if they do, I still get a lot.

I have tried Spam Butcher. It seems to do a good job, 95 % or so. My free trial is about up. I do not mind paying for it but was wondering if there was something better / as good for same ( $30) or less $'s.

TIA

I'm trying out the IHateSpam now. It was really easy to install.

I'll give the CloudMark a try after the free trial runs out on IHateSpam and see which works best.

Siglady - I looked at the POSTINI stuff but could not find a "desktop" solution. Am I blind ?

Consider using Thunderbird for reading your email. It has built in spam control that learns based on your input. If you recieve spam, mark it as spam and next time the software does a better job understanding what you think is spam.

Thunderbird will import your Outlook Express mailbox, for easy migration. It's also a much safer product, lots of malicious software exploits Outlook Express' poor default settings.

Consider using Thunderbird for reading your email. It has built in spam control that learns based on your input. If you recieve spam, mark it as spam and next time the software does a better job understanding what you think is spam.

Thunderbird will import your Outlook Express mailbox, for easy migration. It's also a much safer product, lots of malicious software exploits Outlook Express' poor default settings.

That is kind of what Mail Washer does.

FM

I know this will sound like some circular logic, but the best way to stop spam is to not get it in the first place. A good start is to never post your real email address on any website, forum, or usenet group.

I *had* an email address that didn't receive any spam for 3 years, until Google leaked it to the Internet. I signed up with Google groups to access the Cisco usenet group. I posted a message, and Google posted my personal email to the usenet group, where it was picked up by spammers. (I griped to Google about it, and they said they have warning that your email will be posted, but they didn't). Now I get about 8 messages a day that survive my ISPs spam filters.

T-bird is good, but the spam filter isn't good enough for me. I run Spamassassin on my mailserver as well, but most of y'all probably don't have your own mailserver, so that's not really an option.

Shred,

I just found out ( duh ) that my ISP has Spamassassin available. All I have to do is activate it.

So my question is, If I run Spamassissin on teh server, do I need Cloudmark too ?

T-bird is good, but the spam filter isn't good enough for me. I run Spamassassin on my mailserver as well, but most of y'all probably don't have your own mailserver, so that's not really an option.

Shred,

I just found out ( duh ) that my ISP has Spamassassin available. All I have to do is activate it.

So my question is, If I run Spamassissin on teh server, do I need Cloudmark too ?

If the rules are good, Spamassassin will eat most of it. Cloudmark is better overall, but I can live with the dozen or so a day that SA leaves.

Shred,

I run my own mail system using Exim and Spamassassin, and filter even more on the client side with Spambayes. I have tweaked my rules considerably, and use the sa-learn option to make Spamassassin learn from stuff that leaks through.

SpamBayes is a great freeware tool for use with Outlook. I've been using it for several years at home, and at my previous job. My current employer had already setup a hosted anti-spam/antivirus deal with Appriver.com. It works pretty well.

Another useful tool for Outlook is Attachment Options. I highly recommend that as well.