Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Min Trigger Weight?

Pittbug

The best I can find is this:

Under ESP Permitted Modifications:

12. Hammer and other trigger action parts to enhance trigger

pull (includes the use of over travel stop).

So as long as it is safe, I don't see a problem.

Also, I would highly recommend Canyon Creek for your trigger job.

Rich did my XD45 a few months back and I can not describe how good that trigger feels.

I let some of my friends shoot it and they want a XD just to have Rich work on it.

Nope.

There are very few rules that I would add if the sport was mine, but is one of them.

I actually think that it should be limited as to how low you can go, so that guns are more "street" like and less "competition" like. Note that I compete with the lightest trigger that I can, so I AM playing the game as a game.

In my mind, a ultra light trigger is way more "gamier", "expensive" and "dangerous" than a holster that has a bit of daylight.... I use these criteria as they could be reasons for the holster rules changes.

I'm no expert in measuring the pull. Getting a definitive trigger pull scale could be an issue, and consistently measuring the trigger could be harder.

Not a huge issue, but this thread rereminded me.

Per KD Moore,

I'm no expert in measuring the pull. Getting a definitive trigger pull scale could be an issue, and consistently measuring the trigger could be harder.

This is how I measure my trigger pull. Cheaper and probably more accurate than a spring type trigger pull gauge.

I bent a piece of close hanger into shape where one end sits in the middle of the trigger and the other end has a hook to hold a small cloth bag. The configuration of the hanger is bent so that nothing touches the gun except the point at the trigger but still holds the bag below the centerline of the gun.

With an unloaded gun cocked and pointed to the ceiling, I lift the bag partially filled with 125 gr Zero bullets. At the point where the hammer drops when I lightly "thump" the front strap, I call it good.

Using the simple formula of (number of bullets) x (125 gr per bullet) / 7000 = trigger pull in pounds. 140 bullets calculates out to a 2.5# trigger pull.

{This is the method also recommended in "Hallock's .45 Auto Handbook".}

Edited by Flatland Shooter

Mostly I just use an NRA weight set. The only bad thing there is it can only measure trigger pulls down to two pounds. Historically that hasn't been a problem for me since all my guns had trigger pulls heavier than that, but recently I have, for the first time, begun experimenting with light (for me) trigger pulls in a 1911. My Nighthawk Custom Talon 9mm, after a trip to Terry Boehler (late of Nowlin, now on his own) has a trigger pull of exactly 32 ounces according to a trigger pull gauge. Yes, okay, that's two pounds even, but all the NRA weight set could tell me was the hammer fell with two pounds on it - it couldn't tell me the hammer wouldn't fall with less.

I'm not at all convinced, BTW, that a highly skilled shooter - we're talking USPSA A-class or IDPA Expert minimum - couldn't be safe in a carry gun with a trigger pull so light it might be classed as "unsafe" for those of a lesser skill level.

I think the reason that North Americans are so into smoothing and lightening trigger pulls on their guns, whereas in international IPSC modifying the trigger at all is illegal, is that the US and Britain are the only countries in which citizens have ever really taken the handgun seriously as a primary weapon. Other countries have historically seen the handgun as a badge of rank for a military officer, or a toy to play with. We're the only people among whom the serious gun folk have always had a bias toward sizeable guns that fire powerful (for a handgun) cartridges. In the modern era, we want smooth trigger pulls, high visibility sights, etc., because we see the handgun as a real weapon. Most people around the world don't, and never have.

whereas in international IPSC modifying the trigger at all is illegal,

Huh?

Where does it say that?

All I could find was

5.1.4 Unless required by a Division (see Appendices), there is no

restriction on the trigger pull weight of a handgun, however, the

trigger mechanism must, at all times, function safely and as originally

designed.

Realize that first, this isn't a big deal to me. I'd include it when I begin my own sport, won't bother lobbying for it before then as I consider it minor. ;)

Second, my post was vague and had generalizations.

ligher trigger = dangerous is a gross generalization. You are right, an experienced shooter will be a lot less prone to this. I won't even argue that ligher = safer if a precision shot is called for! :) However, I'd make rules for the folks who need them most, and not the least.

I was thinking more along the lines of carry firearms where the general consensus is that a heavy first trigger pull may do away with some accidental stress induced discharges for folks in a "armed confrontation", but still leave the shooter able to do what he needs to with the pistol.

Duane,

Thanks for the world perspective on handguns, I'm afraid I'm pretty guilty of having an Americancentric center to my thinking, and forget that the world isn't "just like us" :o

I don't think IDPA would ever adopt a min. trigger weight. I've never gotten all that wound up on the issue. I do wonder how many internet reading Dremel commandos have worked their "safe action" triggers to such a point where they have compromised the safety. That said, I have seen two people come to the line and watched their Glocks go full auto and earn a match DQ. So it makes you wonder.

Light triggers on carry guns at some point becomes a liability issue. I would doubt that a manufacturer or custom builder would sell or do a trigger job for a carry package with a trigger weight under 3.5lbs for that reason.

Most people I know understand that handguns aren't great primary weapons. In fact they suck. But until the day comes where we can go about our daily lives in America with a long gun slung or in hand they have to act as such at least until we can get to a proper gun. ;)

Edited by Mayonaise

That just gives a minimum weight of pull.

Would reducing a seven pound trigger pull to the Division minimum of five pounds be considered "minor detailing?"

Actually, I don't shoot in foreign lands and don't know (or care) what those people do. NFL, uh, USPSA rules are good enough for me and everybody ought to use them. I used to think Americans ought to go by IPSC rules, but have concluded ours are better.

Edited by Jim Watson