Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Open Gun Not Feeding Hollow Points

kranzjdw

could someone out there please help im loading 124 rainer hollow points i have tried all the way from1.26 to 1.06 in lengh and nothing has helped. i have done a surch and found nothing on this topic also im getting this ring of jacketing in my chamber that will not let the next round seat, once i have removed the ring the round will seat with this problem i know it is not a bell problem and i have tried messing with the crimp with no help is this just the copper jacket on the rainer bullets i hope not thanks for any help on this

If you are getting a ring of copper then the OAL is not the problem, the obstruction in the chamber is the problem. You don't mention if this is a 9mm or .38 super.

If 9mm maybe the barrel needs to be reamed a little to give more room to the bullet so it does not dig into the rifling before it is fired. You only need enough crimp to hold the bullet in place. Typically the amount of crimp is very small.

If there is copper in the chamber and it is a plated bullet rather than jacketed then I would first look to the amount of crimp.

Is this by chance a new gun or new barrel? If so, that ring of jacket material in the

chamber is probably coming from a burr in the barrel. It gets in there from the

chambering reamer. Bend a short 90 degree end on a paper clip and drag it across

the step in the chamber that the case mouth headspaces on. If you feel a burr, it

need to come out of there. I do it with a fine cratex cone on a dremel. Or take it back

to whoever chambered the barrel and have them finish the job.

Is this by chance a new gun or new barrel? If so, that ring of jacket material in the

chamber is probably coming from a burr in the barrel. It gets in there from the

chambering reamer. Bend a short 90 degree end on a paper clip and drag it across

the step in the chamber that the case mouth headspaces on. If you feel a burr, it

need to come out of there. I do it with a fine cratex cone on a dremel. Or take it back

to whoever chambered the barrel and have them finish the job.

+1

thanks for the info but it is still not working the gun is about 1 year old and has worked fine untill last week i have not changed my load is there anything else that i may try thanks

Now I'm a bit confused. You have not changed your load? Are you saying that the gun

ran fine, no feeding problems, no ring of jacket material in the chamber, for about a year.

You didn't change ANYTHING and now it won't run? AND it is leaving a ring of jacket material in the chamber?

Just EXACTLY what is the problem? Describe in as much detail as you can just where

everything is at when it malfunctions. Pictures would be a plus.

There are a bunch of really talented people on these forums, who have probably seen and fixed every known gun malfunction.

thanks for the info but it is still not working the gun is about 1 year old and has worked fine untill last week i have not changed my load is there anything else that i may try thanks

Something has changed, worn out or broke. Do you get the same result with all your mags?

Check completely disassemble the pistol and check all the parts. If it is an SV be sure to check that the breech face is not loose.

Probably not OAL if it was running before. Do you have a shock buff? When did you last change the recoil spring and what is the spring weight?

Probably not OAL if it was running before. Do you have a shock buff? When did you last change the recoil spring and what is the spring weight?

it could be the OAL if the seating die has backed out of the tool head. check all your dies.

lynn

This same thing happened to me while shooting the brick (S&W Model 59) When I changed bullets it went away. I also had a lot of leading problem along with the "ring' problem. I was using jacketed bullets with exposed lead in the back. I thought I might of been using a 357 bullet in the 9mm. But who knows. Good luck rdd