Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Oakley M Glasses With Rx?

charliez

I perused the threads and FAQs here to find new shooting glasses and I like the Oakley's.

I need prescription glasses though, and I understand the Oakley's have an Rx insert.

For those that have Oakley's sunglasses and Rx inserts:

1. How does that work? You have 2 lenses per eyeball (one tinted, the other Rx)?

2. How do you get the Rx lenses made? There is very little information on the Oakley site.

Many Thanks!

It is my understanding that for the M frame you need to get the actual shields cut with the correction in them. You need to contact an optometrist who deals with Oakley and order through them. At least thats what I was told when I was looking into it. To me that seemed like a bad idea because if the shields get scratched, then I have to pay for a whole new prescription, and if I want multiple color shields I need multiple prescriptions. To me that means lots of money.

I went with Rudy, who use the prescription behind the shields method.

Yes I have the less $$ inserts from -Peepers.com I got the ones I use in 2001 and I and about to get new ones. I sent an email to them recently and they still do them. =This is on the M frame Lenz and it works grate at 1/2 the price.=

you will need to send a (nose) pice and the Rx . they call them the NYX singel Vision Poly /RX cost $113.00

I can change lenz and still use the same RX pice when I change lenz.

if you need a contact name Pm me and I will look into my saved emails.

JF B)

Edited by AlamoShooter

I wear Bolle since they were the first on the market with using perscription adaptors behind the main lens. I usually pick up the frames pretty cheap so I haven't switched. If I did, I would go with Rudy Projects.

The M Frame prescription basically has the lens cut out and an prescription insert fitted into the lens. I'm not sure if they have changed the lens shape but in the past, they look like the lens portion from the Sub Zero except added onto the m frame lens and they looked pretty ugly. Here's a pict of a sub zero if you don't remember what they look like.

1992_SubZero1_sm.jpg

But basically you have one lens color with the prescription. If you want a different color, you have to buy another perscription. Apparantly in the past if you are pretty blind, the lens has a difficult time supporting the thick prescription. I knew one guy who went through 4 broken lens in one year.

While optically, the prescription M frames would be better since you are only looking through the prescription part, but they are not practical.

An prescription insert isn't as good since you are looking through two lens but at least you can change out the lens color whenever you want. Scratches usually occur on the replaceable lens instead of the prescription. And you can have your perscription filled by your optomotrist. Prescription oakleys have to be purchased through an optomotrist who is a oakley dealer.

I was trying to go that route before but will cost too much money. My vision plan will not cover the Oakley lens as it will be done by Oakley at the factory. The M lens will cost $250 with the Rx. If you want another tint, then that's another $250. Hope this helps.

I'll say this - the one pair I handled (belonged to Miles Cheatham - we had a similar Rx) was super sharp, though, and were definitely Oakley optics. They do get awful expensive, though...

My solution was to go w/ silicon hydrogel contacts, instead... ;)

I got an M frame with two RX shields, one clear and one dark.

The RX inserts are cut into the shield.

+ : less distortion by using only 1 lens (per eye)

clearer sight

- : if damaged/ new prescription, the whole shield+ RX has to be replaced

not cheap (especially here in Europe)

every shield you use, needs it's own rx "treatement" >> even more expensive

I sure love My Oakley's, and probably will stay with Oakley when they need to be replaced,

but will have a look into "cheaper" alternatives

+1 on the Rudy Projects. I spent a great deal of time trying to decide which way to go. Eventually, after a little looking on the net, I found a good deal on a set of Rudy Projects with the clear, golf green and racing red lenses and it included the RX wire frame. I couldn't be happier. I don't notice any distortion or extra weight from the double lenses, and am very happy with the lens color selection. Money well spent.