Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Modifying Bomar Sight?

Adam B

I had 'Rabbit ears" on one of my Limited pistols and didn't like them at all. I think I was just used to a full profile rear sight and it made my sight alignment more difficult. (I have enough problem with that anyway <_< ) If you want to try it, I'd do the 45 degree angle first and then go from there. IIRC, there is a thread from Chuck at Shooter's Connection about this, maybe that would give you some more info or opinions.

Not sure what your trying to achieve? It will be a fragile sight. For me the large flat back surface helps me level my front sight in the notch. Also find the large horizontal line helps me index on target faster since it is out of focus. Now I did round the corners of mine as part of a not sharp corners anywhere on the gun.

I'd think that rabbit ears would contribute toward sight confusion... that is, the front would resemble the rear ears too much for the eye to quickly pick out.

I think a better route would be to shape the blade in a pyramid.

That was my experience with them; very confusing to look at at speed. Pyramiding the rear sight works well, and it actually has the effect of driving the eye in an "up" vector towards the front sight.

I have 8 1911's/S_I's. I have pyrimided the BoMar's/copies on all of them. I've done the same for 15 or so other shooters in the area. Better sight picture (more target visable) without being fragile.

do you have a photo you can share? how about contact info? thanks