Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Springs

GlockShooter

I have a Glock 17, and I would like to put a different recoil spring in the gun to help dampen the recoil. (I know there's not much.) :rolleyes: I judt dont know what pound spring to use. I am also thinkig about a tungsten guide rod. Any thoughts?

I run my G34 with a non-captive tungsten rod and am very happy with it!

I use an ISMI 13lbs spring with 4 coils removed, but for your G17, I would just recommend a 13lbs spring WITHOUT removing coils.

If you feel experimental, make sure to purchase additional springs...actually, but extra springs anyway! They tend to break and the most inopportune times <_<

Hello GS-

Figure out if you really want "to dampen recoil." You will find most competitve shooters are not too concerned about dampening recoil. Most shooters, especially with minor production loads, switch to lighter recoil springs to make the slide move quicker, which results in more "recoil" but over a shorter period of time. Hence the gun recovers and gets back on target faster. To me the gun is noticeably quicker and more consistent with a lighter spring, which I greatly prefer. In both my G17 and G34 I run either an ISMI 13# or Wolfe 14#. I would prefer even a lighter recoil spring, but I use a full-power striker spring which benefits from having a stronger recoil spring. Balance. I like tungsten guide rods. Cheers,

-br

Edited by joker22

15 is what it oughta' run. 13 will make it feel different, but will also have the slide moving slugishly in comparison.

The recoil is the same, just delivered across a different time/force curve. I think a snappy shooting gun is actually faster than a softy shootin' one anyway ;-)

This wan't mentioned, so.... If you are reloading, make the reloads first. Test them out and decide which one you are going to shoot. Some people like a little more pf than others; better hits on steel, more reliability in cycling... Once you have decided on what reload you are going to shoot, THEN start playing with your recoil spring. The lighter the load, the less recoil spring you will want. The pitfalls are not having enough recoil spring to lock the slide/barrel back into battery, and having to reduce your striker spring weight with anything under a 15lb recoil spring. The recoil spring and the striker spring act against each other per se, and have to be in balance, or you will have a problem getting the gun to cycle to full battery.

I am running a G34 with a 13lb ISMI recoil spring with 3 coils cut off, and a Wolfe 4lb reduced striker spring (Sotelo trigger kit). My reloads are 130.8pf. My slide is far from sluggish with this set-up. It cycles faster than with the stock springs and WWB factory ammo. Recoil is almost non-existant, and after reviewing video of the gun while being shot, the slide is almost flat through the firing sequence. It is also more reliable than it was with stock parts.

I bought a really nice pair of dikes to cut the coils off the spring. When I finalized my reloads, I wasn't getting enough slide speed to reliably eject the spent round with a 15lb spring, the 13 lb spring worked, but the brass dribbled down my hand. I started cutting coils until I reliably ejected the brass about a foot. I went to 4 coils down on the test spring, and it worked well, but decided with 3 coils down since it gave at least of foot of ejection and locked the gun into battery better.

Edited by SA Friday

I have a Glock 17, and I would like to put a different recoil spring in the gun to help dampen the recoil. (I know there's not much.) :rolleyes: I judt dont know what pound spring to use. I am also thinkig about a tungsten guide rod. Any thoughts?

Just a caution: The Glocks springs are dynamic.

From time to time, take your freshly-undersprung Glock and slowly dry-fire it, keeping an eye on whether the slide moves rearward. I've seen guns -- that friends were using to shoot matches -- unlock when the trigger was pulled in slow motion.

You're looking for a bad combination of a new striker spring and a worn-out recoil spring.

Be safe,

Robin Taylor

www.taylorfreelance.com

What Robin is hinting about is exactly why I run a 13lb spring in my Major PF Open Glock, not the 12er that felt softer and definitely not a 12er with coils cut that felt even softer.

I recommended a 13er earlier in this thread as minimum spring weight for a darned good reason and that reason is called an Out of Battery Detonation!

You want slide IN battery EVERY single time it goes forward no matter how grungy the gun gets!

An out of battery detonation is no fun at 130pf and a real bad hair day at 170+PF ;-(

Regards,

I have settled on 15 pound springs for my 9mm Glocks. I have tried the 13# springs and when the gun gets dirty or with hard primers on some factory ammo, the 13# just is not reliable enough for my use. The 15# springs allow the sights to track better for me. Everyone who has suggested that you get several different weights and try them out is correct. What works for some people doesn't work for others.

I have a long noncaptive tungsten guide rod and a 13# ISMI spring for one of my 34's and I shoot better and the gun recoils better for me with a 15# Wolfe spring and a standard length steel noncaptive guide rod.

Experiment and have fun doing it.

Edited by David Thomas

• 1 month later...

A lot of you are living on the edge.

(A few of you know that...from years of doing this stuff. But, you should probably be careful what you tell the new guys.)

The best gun handling can be found by working on your grip and stance.

If a Glock, shooting minor 9mm loads, is kicking around too much for you...your stance and grip need some tweaking.