Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Any Thoughts On Lightened 5in Guns?

mshotwell

I switched from a P-16 to a Brazos SC Limited. The slide cycles much faster and for some reason this allows me to track the front sight better then with the P-16. (I haven't figured this out either.) There doesn't seem to be any more felt recoil, but there does seem to be more muzzle flip. I think that this is just because I haven't been able to shoot enought with this pistol to acclimate myself to it yet. I like the lightened gun a lot I just need to shoot it more to get used to the feel.

I very much prefer a lightened slide on a 5" gun. It is faster and flatter for me, transitions are faster and more precise too. Like Lawman, I also feel that it is a little harder on the hand but in a match I never ever feel it. For a range and target plinker, no I wouldn't lighten the slide. For a match gun, get the mill ready!!!

I started out with the beefy guns and when I was doing well in Limited got a hold of a sweeet CGW Limited gun. Full profile frame and slide but like Chuck a bushing barrel. Nice balance and fast.

Took a break for a couple of years to shoot open.

Got back to shooting Limited and decided to go with a heavy-ish gun. Full profile frame & slide with bull barrel, stainless guide rod. However, the pistol is a Brazos Pro Series Limited. Very tight, fast and balanced. Once I get rollin' again in Limited, I'll definitely be lightening the gun up more. Lightening the countour or fluting the barrel, etc.

Bottom line is, go with what feels comfortable and change/experiment as you get better/plateau. Tiger Woods tinkers with his whole game because there's always something that he can be doing better. Same for our game. There are so many factors.

Rich

Mike, my STI full profile .40 LTD has a lightened slide with a bull bbl. You are welcome to come over to West Liberty and blast away. Just PM me with a number and we can coordinate. I can scrounge up a Brazos LTD and a couple others for you to try as well....

Doug Carden

On the other thread I mentioned how Bennie made a 5" "FAT FREE" out of one of my short dust cover SVs. Without repeating myself too much, it now has right at 112,000 rounds on it (2nd barrel) is easy to transition and is snappy but in a good way. I use a 14# recoil spring and a tungsten guide rod. I favor it over all the others! I've shot the 6" but I like the 5" better. The slide weighs around 10.5 oz...

Mick

A27257

On the other thread I mentioned how Bennie made a 5" "FAT FREE" out of one of my short dust cover SVs. Without repeating myself too much, it now has right at 112,000 rounds on it (2nd barrel) is easy to transition and is snappy but in a good way. I use a 14# recoil spring and a tungsten guide rod. I favor it over all the others! I've shot the 6" but I like the 5" better. The slide weighs around 10.5 oz...

Mick

A27257

have any pics of the slide?

I had a full dust cover/slide 5" Edge. I usually shoot a G22 in Limited, so the Edge felt like a brick.

I sent the Edge to Benny and he cut stirrup cuts in the slide, a lightening cut in top of the slide and cut back the frame. The work is excellent and it really lightened/sped up the gun.

It's still too heavy for my liking (I'm back to the Ltd Glock), but it's an awesome gun that's been 100% reliable.

440332.jpg

440333.jpg

Edited by chp5

Mick

A27257

have any pics of the slide?

Check Bennie's site for the Fat Free guns (Triangle Shooting Sports). It had a "Hi Power cut" at the front and about .040" off in the back with serrations in front of the ejection port...

Mick