Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Skewed Perception Of Speed

After feeling slow about my production reloads the last match I came home and did some dry fire. Well to see how slow they had become some live fire was needed...... they weren't slow.. they had actually IMPROVED! normal speed i did 4 or 5 of them right around one second. then hit some in the mid .9's and a .87 to a delta... one centimeter baby and it could have been DING! ( i practice on an A/C zone steel target) this was at 7-8 yards away. ( no shrapnel coming back on me at all the target is angled downward slightly)

Thinking this over i have wondered my match performance sometimes feels slow but blazes the stage.... then i feel slow and i WAS slow... is there a way to heighten or correct my perception of time? This sucks thinking i walked away form a match with a good performance then getting STOMPED by a fellow shooter who I have been close to many matches this year.

Happy Shooting!!!

I know the feeling so very well, Steve.

I was practicing tonight, doing some El Pres. for fun, and I was shooting rather methodically. When I looked at the timer, I instantly wondered what was wrong with my brand new timer ......... my shooting felt slow and smooth, but my time was 5.45 B)

BTW .... I was only 3 down! ;)

Thinking this over i have wondered my match performance sometimes feels slow but blazes the stage.... then i feel slow and i WAS slow...

That's a good one. Those two "feelings" might seem or feel the same now, but if you study the memory of them more, you might discover that they are subtle differences between them.

Feeling slow/Was slow = Trying: Will usually have traces of trying or struggling behind it. There was a sense of "you," who was "struggling." The actor and the action.

Feeling slow/Was not slow = Just watching: There will usually be less of a "sense of self" involved in that memory. Examining that state carefully - it feels like the sense of passing time was not there. All you can remember is that there was a "witnessing of activity." That's when it gets fun and the all effort becomes worth it.

be

From Ayrton Senna, Formula One Champion:

"...the last qualifying session. I was already on pole, then by half a second and then one second and I just kept going. Suddenly I was nearly two seconds faster than anybody else, including my team mate with the same car. And suddenly I realised that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension. It was like I was in a tunnel. Not only the tunnel under the hotel but the whole circuit was a tunnel. I was just going and going, more and more and more and more. I was way over the limit but still able to find even more.

"Then suddenly something just kicked me. I kind of woke up and realised that I was in a different atmosphere than you normally are. My immediate reaction was to back off, slow down. I drove slowly back to the pits and I didn't want to go out any more that day. It frightened me because I was well beyond my conscious understanding. It happens rarely but I keep these experiences very much alive inside me because it is something that is important for self-preservation."

Feeling slow/Was not slow = Just watching: There will usually be less of a "sense of self" involved in that memory. Examining that state carefully - it feels like the sense of passing time was not there. All you can remember is that there was a "witnessing of activity." That's when it gets fun and the all effort becomes worth it.

When I'm in my "groove", it's very cool to look back on the moments. It's very 1st person shooter like in that, I'm not 'behind' the gun, but rather about 5-15 degrees, kind of over my left shoulder, watching the pistol cycle, brass eject, pistol return, etc. I see the hits on the paper, calling exactly where they hit. Moving smoothly, nothing's done without it being smooth and deliberate. Stops are controlled, no extra pop-ups, no extra anything.

It truly is, "the tuning fork" that brings you back when you know you can be that close to perfection.

Rich

during dry fire I cannot feel like I am improving. it always feels so damn slow to me. i can never seem to get my sight picture fast enough. But throw ammo in the gun and man I really seem to impress myself. If I slck off on the dry fire. then it slows down considerably

hiro

• 1 month later...
From Ayrton Senna, Formula One Champion:

"...the last qualifying session. I was already on pole, then by half a second and then one second and I just kept going. Suddenly I was nearly two seconds faster than anybody else, including my team mate with the same car. And suddenly I realised that I was no longer driving the car consciously. I was driving it by a kind of instinct, only I was in a different dimension. It was like I was in a tunnel. Not only the tunnel under the hotel but the whole circuit was a tunnel. I was just going and going, more and more and more and more. I was way over the limit but still able to find even more.

"Then suddenly something just kicked me. I kind of woke up and realised that I was in a different atmosphere than you normally are. My immediate reaction was to back off, slow down. I drove slowly back to the pits and I didn't want to go out any more that day. It frightened me because I was well beyond my conscious understanding. It happens rarely but I keep these experiences very much alive inside me because it is something that is important for self-preservation."

JUST USE THE FORCE!!!