Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Puzzling Out-of-battery Situation

SouthpawG26

For the longest time, i'd periodically get an out of battery related failure right after a mag reload (with a round in the chamber) in my G26 with G17 mags, A&G grip extenders and Arredondo +4 extensions (21 rds total). At first I replaced my Wolff 14lb recoil spring/rod set with a 16lb (stock poundage) setup, but still, once in a while, i'd get a "click" on the first shot after the reload, with a tell tale off-center primer strike.

This will also only happen with a round in the chamber; the gun does not get slapped out of battery when "ramming in" a full mag on an empty chamber (slide closed).

The only solution which seems to work so far, is to keep the mag downloaded -2 (19 rds), in order for the mag to "headbutt" the slide slighty less forcefully on the reload.

Anyone else have this experience???????

Thanks,

Serge.

Edited by SouthpawG26

For the longest time, i'd periodically get an out of battery related failure right after a mag reload (with a round in the chamber) in my G26 with G17 mags, A&G grip extenders and Arredondo +4 extensions (21 rds total). At first I replaced my Wolff 14lb recoil spring/rod set with a 16lb (stock poundage) setup, but still, once in a while, i'd get a "click" on the first shot after the reload, with a tell tale off-center primer strike.

This will also only happen with a round in the chamber; the gun does not get slapped out of battery when "ramming in" a full mag on an empty chamber (slide closed).

The only solution which seems to work so far, is to keep the mag downloaded -2 (19 rds), in order for the mag to "headbutt" the slide slighty less forcefully on the reload.

Anyone else have this experience???????

Thanks,

Serge.

Was at a match this past weekend and Dave Sevigny was having a similar problem, he told me that he atributed (sp?) it to a too weak recoil spring, he was using a 12lb and said he was now going to go heavier.

I had the same problem with my G22 and a weak 13lb spring. Put in a 15 and problem is gone. I accidently wacked off 4 coils of the 13 pounder thinking it was the 15 pounder so it wouldn't hold it in battery.

Joe

If you use a reduced power recoil spring you have to install a reduced power striker spring, or the act of pulling the trigger will pull the gun out of battery. As the striker moves to the rear of the gun it is pulling against the power of the recoil spring to remain in battery.

Change them as a set, both reduced power and your problem goes away.

Hope this helps,

Dan

I learned the hard way.

USE FACTORY RECOIL AND STRIKER SPRINGS, and the gun goes bang every single time.

Start putting in aftermarket "lighter" springs and accept that the gun will not be 100% reliable, and it usually happens in a match.

A reduced power striker spring and lighter recoil spring do make the feel of the gun nicer, but hearing that "click" in the middle of a match is no longer a worthy trade for that nicer feel in my opinion.

:D

Edited by cmzneb

If you use a reduced power recoil spring you have to install a reduced power striker spring, or the act of pulling the trigger will pull the gun out of battery. As the striker moves to the rear of the gun it is pulling against the power of the recoil spring to remain in battery.

Change them as a set, both reduced power and your problem goes away.

Cha-ching! That's exactly what I thought when I read your problem. Even after changing the recoil spring, you still occasionally have the problem. Go to the Wolfe reduced striker spring (4lbs instead of 5 1/2 lbs). You should then be able to go back to the reduced weight recoil spring.

As for shooting it stock, forget that. Advancement comes from experimentation. If it wasn't for good old fashioned American gun tinkerin, we'd still be shooting match-locks. Once you've got it where you want it, periodically change all the springs to new aftermarket ones every so many rounds or annually. That should prevent this from happening again.

No gun is or ever will be 100% reliable, not even a stock glock. That's why we have "failure drills".

Edited by SA Friday

• 3 months later...

Just ran into this problem with my G35, running a new ISMI 13#. Exact same scenario - slammed in reload with a chambered round will push the slide back out of battery.

Interestingly enough, I'd shot this gun with an 11# ISMI with no problems using a different, longer load with a different bullet (1.135 vs the 1.100 I'm using now). Perhaps the combo of a different bullet ogive hitting the stripper rail in a different location is the problem.

Kevin C.

Addendum:

Noticed something else. The problem actually occurs with both the new and old loads, but only with the gun muzzle high on seating the mag. May be just a weak spring. I don't think the striker spring is involved, since this problem is occuring w/o pulling the trigger at all. The chambered round may matter because there is now tension on the extractor, and therefore a bit of rearward pressure on the plunger spring.

A new 13# ISMI spring is in the gun and it seems OK now. We'll see what happens in tomorrow's match.

Edited by kevin c