Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti Grip

alellis

The grip on my STI edge is a little too long for my hand.

There is a gap of maybe 3/8 inch between my left hand and the top of the magwell.

I think it would improve my grip if my hand fit snug between the bottom of the trigger guard and the top of the magwell.

Any ideas how to shorten the grip or fill the gap.

al

I think it would improve my grip if my hand fit snug between the bottom of the trigger guard and the top of the magwell.

I am not really sure this would help.

The action of camming the wrists (especially the weak hand one), which is what really helps in mitigating recoil and contrast muzzle lift, will eventually place your hands above the magwell (how high on this depends on your hands size).

My strong hand (I'm right-handed) just slightly contacts the magwell with its lower part, and my weak hand doesn't contact it at all.

It's far more important that the whole palm of your weak hand is in contact with the grip, back of the palm pressing against the frame/mainspring housing junction area.

Any ideas how to shorten the grip or fill the gap.

If you really want to go down this road, I suspect shortening the grip is not possible, due to the mainspring housing fixed lenght.

I'd rather build up the grip using epoxy and grit: somewhere in the forum there should be a thread where Dalmas described his work on the grip of his SVI to build it up.

Edited:

I found the thread (god how I miss the old search function ...): http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...st&p=171085

Edited by Skywalker

If you can find someone that has a "Smoking Hole" magwell on their gun you can grip, that seems to be the biggest and highest that I am aware of. It gives that "dumbell grip" where your hand is located between the grip safety and the magwell.

SV has in their online catalog a "compact grip assembly", but they want $325 for it!!! Insane. Then you have to use their magwell supposedly for another $50 for aluminum.

:o:o;):wub:

SVI's compact grip is not meant to reduce the size of a "normal" grip. I have built a few of these "compact" set-ups, meant for conceal carry, and they are an instant hit whenever one of them show up at a gathering. STI also makes their VIP line with reduced size grips without a mag well. Both SVI's and STI's compacts require a smaller specially built mainspring housing and hammer springs. Neither of these two (or mine) is intended to push your grip upwards, as their mag-wells or lack of are intended to maintain a very slim profile instead. Although a good 'smith can and will be able to adapt a wide-funnel mag well to one of these, or otherwise reduce the height to your liking, ect. Make some phone calls. If not you might consider one of these as offered by the "alphabet" gun-makers.