Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Noob Question On Speed?

jemaddux

thats pretty good, with my open gun ive gotten 4 rounds off in that amount of time. A class Open 10 yards IPSC shaped steel target.

.64 draw

.14 split

.12 split

.13 split

1.03 total

that was after a few warm up runs...but if you can get at .80 draw with a .20 split your doin pretty good...especially with iron sights

thats pretty good, with my open gun ive gotten 4 rounds off in that amount of time. A class Open 10 yards IPSC shaped steel target.

.64 draw

.14 split

.12 split

.13 split

1.03 total

that was after a few warm up runs...but if you can get at .80 draw with a .20 split your doin pretty good...especially with iron sights

Its a stock Glock 17, nothing has been done to it at all. Today was my first time doing draw and shoot so I was just wondering. I normally shoot rifles only.

GOOD job, IF you can get two A hits on paper that fast in a match you will be doing better than most of us

practice is one thing...under the pressure at a match is where it counts though.

Harmon

:D Thanks. You know when someone tells you that knows you that you are doing good, it sometimes feels like "well they are just saying it to be nice". Figured I would ask here because no one here knows me and I figure would let me know if I was a screw up.

First off, welcome to the forum jemaddux! That's a pretty fast time, but it's all relative to the quality of the hits, as in are you shooting Alphas or Deltas. I would suggest shooting cardboard targets once in a while to get a better feel for where your shots are going.

What would be considered a fast time for shooting. I am shooting steel target, from draw to two bullets center mass I am running 1.04 to 1.08. Is that a good start or should I be running faster for two shoots?

Cold that's Master level BUT USPSA is about much more than a stand, draw and shoot 2 shots especially if you are grooved in.

I would try a match or two. They are much more fun.

PS distance counts and 7 is much faster than 10. Try 15 to get a real test.

Edited by BSeevers

What would be considered a fast time for shooting. I am shooting steel target, from draw to two bullets center mass I am running 1.04 to 1.08. Is that a good start or should I be running faster for two shoots?

Cold that's Master level BUT USPSA is about much more than a stand, draw and shoot 2 shots especially if you are grooved in.

Now that would be my next question. Where would I get information on the matches. I joined USPSA but haven't figured out the matches yet. I am in the Ventura County area.

Now that would be my next question. Where would I get information on the matches. I joined USPSA but haven't figured out the matches yet. I am in the Ventura County area.

ALRIGHT :D

Some CA people will post back but start perusing www.uspsa.org and this website. You can locate clubs and people to help you out via the menus on the uspsa website. Get ready for a ride.

.64 draw

.14 split

.12 split

.13 split

1.03 total

Pretty good my butt.

Those splits (.80 - .20) are faster than the Champions of the sport will do in a match most of the time. Harmon's splits are faster than most of the the great open shooters will shoot in a match, but they will get A's, most every time, not just hits. It is the A hits that really matter.

• 2 weeks later...
Nice start, now for the bad news............matches are NOT won on presentations or splits, its's EVERYTHING ELSE.

Movement and transitions as well as setup into positions are what count, keep going and good luck.

Rodger that!!