Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anybody Shoot A 6.8?

Owen Sparks

The answer is pretty much no. The 6.8 has not made itself felt in 3 gun. The drawbacks include reduced magazine capacity, greatly increased cost, failure to make major power factor, and increased recoil.

This is not to say that you could not shoot a 6.8 and be competitive but there is really no reason to. You'll be at a disadvantage compared to the .223 and you'll spend a lot more time looking for your spent cases.

Unfortunately, the 6.8 is a fish out of water when it comes to 3-gun. There are, to my knowledge, no safe loads that will make major. They are fun to shoot and have their place but this isn't it. (Wish it were, I spent a lot of time on them with the idea that it might be a viable major platform).

Another point to note, the 6.8 really maxes out performance at about 16" of barrel. Longer gets you about 20-25 fps until 18", then nothing beyond that. Where they really shine is at around 12". They make a very potent entry gun (and a great deerslayer).

Best mags are steel, and only hold 25-26 rounds while feeding reliably.

If the power factor even goes down to 300 for major I have about 12k of once fired cases that I will put back in service. Until then I still like shooting them, and we sell them, just don't recommend to 3-gunners.

Unfortunately, the 6.8 is a fish out of water when it comes to 3-gun. There are, to my knowledge, no safe loads that will make major. They are fun to shoot and have their place but this isn't it. (Wish it were, I spent a lot of time on them with the idea that it might be a viable major platform).

Another point to note, the 6.8 really maxes out performance at about 16" of barrel. Longer gets you about 20-25 fps until 18", then nothing beyond that. Where they really shine is at around 12". They make a very potent entry gun (and a great deerslayer).

Best mags are steel, and only hold 25-26 rounds while feeding reliably.

If the power factor even goes down to 300 for major I have about 12k of once fired cases that I will put back in service. Until then I still like shooting them, and we sell them, just don't recommend to 3-gunners.

Paul and Wes do build one heck of an upper in 6.8.

I love mine. I've used it for a 3-Gun match, and probably will again next time I shoot one.

Its more accurate than my .223 upper (I really should have Paul build me a .223 upper as well).

• 2 weeks later...

There is a cartridge out there that makes major without problems in almost any barrel length and I have never heard of anyone that has a mag capacity problem with it. Long live the 35 Rem. I think Kelly should shoot one.-------Larry

Edited by lkytx

6.5 grendel makes major out of a 20" barrel, but the recoil will still put you at a huge disadvantage to 223 shooters...

atek3

Have you tried shooting the Grendel with major PF? What comp did you use? About how much slower is it compared to a .223? How about compared to a .308? Did you time any splits? I have a Grendel upper coming my way pretty soon. :)

Have you tried shooting the Grendel with major PF? What comp did you use? About how much slower is it compared to a .223? How about compared to a .308? Did you time any splits? I have a Grendel upper coming my way pretty soon. :)

whoa there tiger, I'm just repeating second hand info from http://www.65grendel.com

go there and ask the same questions, you'll get 10 replies asap.

atek3

Okay. I was hoping that you had tried it yourself. It will be slower than the .223, no doubt. The question is how much? B) It might be fast enough to be an improvement over .223, especially here in Scandinavia where it is not uncommon to be shooting at paper targets at long range 300m+. Nice to have major PF then.

Another advantage of the 223 is low cost ball type ammo practical for use on close range hoser type stages.

reloading component availability is also abundant for 223 in contrast to 6.8.

Reloading component costs are also less and of much variety is available for 223 than 6.8.

Okay. I was hoping that you had tried it yourself. It will be slower than the .223, no doubt. The question is how much? B) It might be fast enough to be an improvement over .223, especially here in Scandinavia where it is not uncommon to be shooting at paper targets at long range 300m+. Nice to have major PF then.

email henning walgren, I know he's cooking up major 6.5 specifically for 3gun.

atek3