Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Corporate Generosity...

Ron Ankeny

I am out of the computer lab (high school teacher) and back into the welding shop for an hour a day. I have a brand new (when I get it assembled) plasma table for my students to use, but my materials budget sucks. So typical of education, buy a new toy but don't properly fund the consumables.

WESTEC/WOTCO once again comes to the rescue. They have generously donated a sizeable amount of AR400 and AR450 HARDOX steel plate 3/8 thick. The sizes run from 48x96 inches to 48X360 (that's 4 feet by 30 feet for the math challenged). I also have a couple of pieces of .5 thick plate and sizeable chunk of .75 plate. The total weight of all pieces is right at 8,500 pounds. I wonder how many pepper poppers I can make out of 4 tons of steel? :lol:

Simple, have the students start a target business and use the $ you make to improve your shop ;)

ps. You could make it a school project and get the other departments involed tool. Art, Lit, Business, Accounting, Computers, ect. a small business plan would be great for the kids. Seeing an opportunity and seizing it is what Amercia is about.

Edited by Loves2Shoot

Your students need to learn to make a good circle. Eight, 10 and 12 inches would be good practice. Poppers and speed plates which self reset after being struck by a 125 grain projectile traveling about 1000 fps would also be good educational projects as well.

In order to not waste valuable space on campus, these class projects should be sold to supplement the schools budget. This is a win win situation even Heinlein would approve. :)

I'd be happy to start the project by placing an order for 6 6" circles with a cylinder closed at one end welded to one side with a length of 4" and an internal diameter of 1". How about $20 a piece plus shipping?

I'd be happy to start the project by placing an order for 6 6" circles with a cylinder closed at one end welded to one side with a length of 4" and an internal diameter of 1". How about $20 a piece plus shipping?

+ 1 on this project. Could it be a feasible deal? :huh:

I highly recommend that you don't call them poppers, targets or anything shooting related in a school environment. :blink:

Such things tend to make administrators swoon. <_<

Tell them you have started a thriving student business making 8" circular steel paperweights. ;)

Tls

I highly recommend that you don't call them poppers, targets or anything shooting related in a school environment.

I taught a welding class a couple of years ago and the students made some drop turners, activator pads, and some poppers (large and small). This semester they have already made a couple of swingers with a double bearing/pillow block set up. Man are those swingers smoooooth.

I could start another "what I like" thread on the advantages of teaching in a small rural school in a gun friendly state. About 4 weeks ago I took my students to the computer lab and showed them half a dozen stages of fire from Saul Kirsch's video of the World Shoot. I paused the tape on the various props and steel targets so the students not only know what they look like, they know how the props are used. One of the kids asked me if I could "shoot like that". I told him to shut up and watch, and to remember what he was seeing through Saul's hat cam the next time he decided to be a pain in the butt. :lol:

As for starting a bussiness, I have already thought about that and I am working on it. First item is to replace all of the crappy steel at the neighboring clubs at a huge discount. I am tired of dodging bullets.