Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

19 Upper On A 17 Lower?

open17

Can a G19 upper go on a G17 lower? Haven't actually measured it, but it looks like the

2 pins in the locking block are at a different angle to each other. I see a couple of ways

this MIGHT work.

G17 lower with a G19 lock block, modified to fit the G17 pin locations. G19 barrel.

G17 lower with a G17 lock block, G19 slide, G17 barrel.

Anybody have any first-hand knowledge to share here?

From Glockmeister:

It is asked often and many folks get the wrong information, so we are going to show the Glock owner and the generally curious all of the possible Upper/Receiver combinations in the Glock. In other words which uppers work on which receivers.

* Indicates ejector and mag change.

Receiver------------Upper/s

G17.....................G17,17L,34

G17L...................G17,17L,34

G19.....................G19

G20.....................G20,G21

G21.....................G20,21

G22.....................G17*,17L*,22,24,31,34*,35

G23.....................G19*,23,32

G24.....................G17*,17L*,22,24,31,34*,35

G26.....................G26,27*,33*

G27.....................G26*,27,33

G29.....................G29,30*

G30.....................G29*,G30

G31.....................G17*,17L*,22,24,31,34*,35

G32.....................G19*,23,32

G33.....................G26*,27,33

G34.....................G17,17L,34

G35.....................G17*,17L*,22,24,31,34*,35

If you are wanting a Model 19 sized Frame with a Model 17 Slide, the solution is to cut the grip of the 17 frame down.

If you want to use the 17 mags on a 19 frame, it will hang out below. I've also seen magazine attachments to extend the grip profile. I think it's more common with owners of model 26 to use these sleeves to fill out their longer 19/17 mags.

Edited by Wideload

If you are wanting a Model 19 sized Frame with a Model 17 Slide, the solution is to cut the grip of the 17 frame down.

What I'm asking about is just the opposite. A 19 slide on a 17 frame. Kicking around the idea of a shorty Open gun. Titanium Comp, couple of snort holes, SJC mount and

C-More or melted in slide ride Docter/JPoint. NHO or Heavy Dawson magwell, usual

trigger mods. Kind of sounds like a fun little project to play around with during the coming rainy season.

Bill

Isn't a 17 already kind of a shorty? Its only a little more than 4" barrel length already....... seems like you'd have a hard time making major with a 19 barrel..... maybe the 19 slide with 17 barrel option would work better. Interesting project.

Kicking around the idea of a shorty Open gun. Titanium Comp, couple of snort holes, SJC mount and

C-More or melted in slide ride Docter/JPoint. NHO or Heavy Dawson magwell, usual

trigger mods. Kind of sounds like a fun little project to play around with during the coming rainy season.

For reference, there is a thread aroun here (likely in the Open gun Forum) that asks 'how short is a shorty'.

I recall taking a few measurements. A G17 based open gun seemed like it would prove to be shorter than everyting else that is being called a "shorty"...if I recall correctly.

Do you plan of shooting USPSA/IPSC open with it...with thoughts on making Major power factor? Or, are you going to be playing with it in some games that shooting Major wouldn't be required?

I recall taking a few measurements. A G17 based open gun seemed like it would prove to be shorter than everyting else that is being called a "shorty"...if I recall correctly.

Do you plan of shooting USPSA/IPSC open with it...with thoughts on making Major power factor? Or, are you going to be playing with it in some games that shooting Major wouldn't be required?

Hmm--There are three G17 open guns in the safe, maybe I should go measure one.

If I do decide to build one, it will be for Major PF USPSA competition. I'm running

3 blow holes with a 8 port comp (4 top, 4 side) on my current gun and have no problem

making Major. In the 19 length I would probably drop one blow hole, and maybe go

just a bit longer on the comp. At this point it's just one of those "what if" ideas, driven by

the desire to build something a little different, and the fact that the last time I checked

Caspian had some G19 slides in stock.

• 3 years later...

I would avoid the Caspian Slides. I have had 2. The first one split out at the breech face where the FP comes out in a circle around the hole. They replaced it with a second one where the FP safety hole would not take a stock FP safety at all,the vanek FP safety would BARELY fit(slightly smaller than stock) but would not function properly. The FP would rub on the hole in the breechface on occasion. Their response was some fitting required. I understand fitting being needed for the barrel and maby the slide to frame fit but it should not involve having to re machine things like the FP safety hole and the breech face hole where the FP exits. Got my money back from Brownells and went with the Lone wolf. Looks just as nice if not nicer(ordered mine with blind marks), has forward serrations and parts drop in.

This was not shooting 9mm major loads out of the first one. This was a regular 35 slide from caspian shooting factory loads