Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Steel For Targets?

Revopop

I'm a member of a relatively new IDPA club. We have some experienced welders and want to make some steel targets for handgun and eventually 3-gun matches, but we're having trouble finding steel that's hard enough to use with rifles and shotguns. Does anyone know of a supplier of steel that would work?

I'd contact Karl at GT Targets. He is a member here and has always given me great service on all the steel I buy for our local steel match.

When I first started looking into starting the steel match I had a friend who could have done the work to build our targets and had the same problem. It just was not cost effective to do it ourselves and use the quality of steel you should for steel.

• 1 year later...

Do yourself a huge favor and buy the target faces from GT or whomever. I've used MGM's plates for my projects and have been exceedingly happy with the price, performance, and quality. I'm sure you'll be just as happy buying from GT.

[As an FYI, buying target faces to use on targets of your own invention is cool. Buying target faces then copying

someone else's design is highly uncool. ;) ]

This isn't a plug honest to goodness! It just has all of the information you need if you are going to buy your own steel. If you have any questions, please feel free to give me a call at the shop. I have no poblem helping you out weather you buy anything from us or not. Below is a portion of the FAQ's from our web site.

What are your targets made of?

All our targets are made of 500 brinell steel, which is the same hardness as Armor Plate. AR 500 is comparable to roughly a 52 on the Rockwell C scale, which is also about the same hardness as a good knife blade. In addition to the chemical composition of the steel, a “quench and temper” process at the steel mill further enhances the steel hardness and toughness. In comparison, your car is made of mild steel, about 135 Brinell, and T-1, (the old steel for targets) is about a 235 hardness. AR500 can withstand literally thousands of rounds from reasonable distances without significant damage.

TG

In the last few years I have gained a lot of experience in the fabrication of steel targets. One of the very best guides to steel for targets can be found at http://lonestar.texas.net/~mberg/guns/Stee...ource_Guide.pdf and it is worth the read no matter where you obtain your targets. MGM has a good articleon his web site about the welding and repair of steel targets.

I am now using AR450 Hardox exclusively for pistol targets for our club. AR450 (400-480 Brinell) works fine for USPSA shooting, as does AR400 (360-444 Brinell). The AR450 I use is generally at the top end of the scale. Still, for all around durability, AR500 is your best bet, especially if you can not control what kind of ammo gets shot at your targets. BTW, I only produce steel targets for use locally and this post is only for informational purposes.

Finding hardened steel at a decent price can be a problem. I have a company right down the road that goes through $30,000,000.00 worth of AR steel every month and I can get sheets of "drop" at pretty good prices. If a person wants to make their own targets, all they need is a good plasma table or water jet (flame cutting softens the steel too far in from the edges), and they need to be handy at low hydrogen welding techniques, or better yet, bolt the targets like MGM does.

I enjoy making target faces of all shapes and sizes, but the average handiman just might be better off buying the target faces, then build the rest. Like Eric said, use common sense and decency and treat the designs from vendors as though they are patented. Obviously, I have nothing to say about where you buy your targets, but I would encourage you to buy them from any of the suppliers who support this forum. You can find them in the classified [edit] dealer section.

Edited by Flexmoney

Thanks for all the info, guys. Unfortunately, I've since moved to a new area and a club that's already got plenty of steel. There's a lot of good info here, though, so hopefully someone will find it useful.