Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Mor Rifle

Merlin Orr

Accuracy International Chassis System Ver 1.5 for a Rem. 700 short action - .308

I should be able to get the action to the smith today for truing and the barrel (Hart) installation. Going to use a Luppy variable with a Precision Reticle upgrade on a 20 moa mount system.

Pretty much standard fare all the way. :)

Ok, I've been readin' alot about scopes..... slight threaddrift here, sorry -

Merlin, can you explain the Precision Reticle upgrade, as to how that improves a regular Leupold - I understand that that upgrade is no longer offered?, but you see some of the upgraded scopes for sale used on some other forums/websites, etc.... I'm just getting started with this rifle nonsense.

I have a stock mil-dot 3.5 - 10 LR with M1 knobs, currently, FYI..

Ok, I've been readin' alot about scopes..... slight threaddrift here, sorry -

Merlin, can you explain the Precision Reticle upgrade, as to how that improves a regular Leupold - I understand that that upgrade is no longer offered?, but you see some of the upgraded scopes for sale used on some other forums/websites, etc.... I'm just getting started with this rifle nonsense.

I have a stock mil-dot 3.5 - 10 LR with M1 knobs, currently, FYI..

Well, have to get back to you on this one as I don't really know enough to tell you.... Just bought the scope and really haven't a clue. It is a mildot FFP - I think. (Insert red faced icon here).

What are you doing for a trigger?

AT least for the time being...I am using the Remington trigger with the DY adjustment. I (Benny Hill) adjusted the trigger on my R700 hunting rifle and it breaks nice and clean at around 2 lb. That will be nice enough for now anyway.... I have feelers out for an aftermarket assembly and plan on swapping it out "someday." :)

How long did you wait for the AICS? I'm about to place an order for my 700P. What other must have modifications should be done on a stock 700P as it shoots pretty decent out of the box? TIA.

A friend here on the Forum (Malak) ordered mine for me. It was in my hands in 4 working days. As far as must have mods I am unqualified to answer - I am new and green to this game......

How I approached it is I took my action to the local rifle guy and had a new fatty Hart Barrel threaded, chambered and mounted to the trued action. I bought a case of Lapua brass and a couple of thousand SMKs and a carton of Federal Gold Primers and plan on seeing how my new gun shoots in a day or so when Neel Tennison finishes the rifle. :)

I will jump in for a second here Merilin, first off, go with the bourbon ;)

second the upgraded reticle is first focal plane on a 4.5-14x50, which if you don't know what that is, read up on it, but it has to do with using your reticle mildot system for accurate ranging.

The AICS chasis are in stock right now in 1.0 green and black, 1.5 in black and only a couple greens around, and the 2.0 are about two-three months back ordered. (I am a dealer with Tacpro, and just talked to Alice about the 2.0, she says in about three months the back order list will be caught up, and they should be able to stock them, but the good news is that they are coming off the line)

sfinney-the nice thing about the AICS is the detachable 10round mag THAT WORKS, and not to mention it is super bada$$, you can get a really fat barrel in there, it is uneffected by temperture/water, floats the barrel, pillars the action, has a nice wide forend, and it is very ergonomical, just to list a few.

Norbs: does your 700p have a detachable mag? is the action bedded? both are nice upgrades, Factory 700p barrels are pretty good, but it is hard to compare them to a hart or rock.

And by the way, the Remmy trigger is VERY good, and can be adjusted safely to 2pounds with a clean crisp break, but Jewel triggers are just trick :) The question is not do you need a Jewel trigger, but do you WANT a jewel trigger?

Norbs: does your 700p have a detachable mag? is the action bedded? both are nice upgrades, Factory 700p barrels are pretty good, but it is hard to compare them to a hart or rock.

And by the way, the Remmy trigger is VERY good, and can be adjusted safely to 2pounds with a clean crisp break, but Jewel triggers are just trick :) The question is not do you need a Jewel trigger, but do you WANT a jewel trigger?

It's not a DM model and has the factory HS Precision stock. Since this will be an expensive project, I'll most likely do it one at a time and will start with the AICS for now. I already have a Badger 20moa base installed and will be getting the action trued before the AICS. Now who do you guys recommend for that? Is it also recommended to do the barrel the same time? Thanks again.

and it is very ergonomical

I'd advise you try before you buy, as the forearm on AI stocks feels like an ergonomic 2x4 to me. I find the McMillan A5 more comfortable, but I had to wait about 5 months for mine. Unless you're going to go with the Badger bottom metal for the AI mags on some other stock,

the AICS is the best bet.

As far as recommended gunsmiths, GA Precision is top notch.

Merlin

Jewell triggers are where it is....made in San Marcos, about 225 bucks, but worth it..you will be pleased with the Hart bbl..be sure you pillar bed the action, bed the first 2.5 inches of the bbl and float the rest....should shoot one hole if you do your part...I like IMR 4064 in mine, but there are folks here that know lots more than I do..and a really accurate rifle is the cats a**....have lots of fun...

Merlin

Jewell triggers are where it is....made in San Marcos, about 225 bucks, but worth it..you will be pleased with the Hart bbl..be sure you pillar bed the action, bed the first 2.5 inches of the bbl and float the rest....should shoot one hole if you do your part...I like IMR 4064 in mine, but there are folks here that know lots more than I do..and a really accurate rifle is the cats a**....have lots of fun...

Picked up the rifle this morning. Back to Benny's shop and lapped the rings and installed the scope. Went to the range with Benny's ammo - 168 SMKs and 4895 in WW brass. About 3 shots to get on paper then 3 more to get a zero. 1 hole at 100yards. One bigger hole at 200. Then a couple of sighters and a .655 for 3 shots at 300. This is with less than 20 rounds total through the gun....

Needless to say I am a happy camper. ;)

Now you've got me drooling, Merlin..... I'm staring at a pile of parts that will be my .308: new #7 profile 24" Hart barrel in .308, an a used donor 700 .308 action, EGW 25 MOA base, TPS rings, Leupold scope mentioned above, and..... no stock. :unsure:

Torn between an AICS, or a McM or HS with Badger detachable mag system. I might just drop it all in a take off HS Precison stock for now, and add the Badger DMS later......

Either way, hope it turns out anywhere as nice as Merlin's sounds! ;)

What twist, 1 in 10"...sounds like you got it dialed in nicely...not much more fun that to shoot into one hole...and .6 at 300 yds is awsome...mine won't do that well now...but then I have over 7700 rounds thru it..it would shoot in the .3's when I first had it put up..

I can't wait to see it....and shoot it.. :P:D:D

I might never shoot a .6 at 300 again but I did do it today. And what's better I had a witness! :P I don't know hwat profile my gun has... big ole fat heavy barrel - one step above heavy varmit - I "think." It has a 1-12 twist. I went to the rifle smith and when he asked me what I wanted I told him I had a AICS stock and wanted to shoot tactical matches.. My words were - I believe - "You are the pro here - you tell me what I NEED." And he did the rest. Neil Tennison from Flour Bluff, TX.

As far as the stock goes. I don't see what could be any better (maybe prettier) than the AICS. Just bolt in the barreled action and you are ready to go.

Edited by Merlin Orr

... and a .655 for 3 shots at 300....

that is sub 1/4 MOA at 300 :o Well, Merlin, I am very happy to hear that I am going to have some competition ;)

Torn between an AICS, or a McM or HS with Badger detachable mag system.

I would go either AICS or McM. I don't know what the wait is from McM, but I know it is pretty long, and getting the Badger bottom metal can get a little pricey. But an McM A4 in urban camo with badger BM is a sexy beast. Budget and time line for the project might be something you want to think about before you buy.

... big ole fat heavy barrel - one step above heavy varmit - I "think." It has a 1-12 twist..

Its a Hart 1:12 Max Heavy Varmit, or as we like to call it, the Donkey D!<K contour

I gotta steal some of merlins loads... we both have hart 1:12's cut by the same reamer... they might work just as good in my rifle ;)

You want the twist to just barely stabalize the projectile and I had always considered 165 gr the cutoff for 1 in 12, but you guys seem to have figured it out...mine is a Kreiger with a 1 in 10 twist, cause I wanted to shoot some 180's in it also..

I would love to see you guys shoot it out...Benny can't be on the sidelines for something like that....when and where.... :P:D