Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

4.7 el prez

Steve Anderson

Yesterday morning.

Beretta e1 w/ docter sight, prod. holster, 2 Cs rest As.

(time to buy that REAL open gun...this dot stuff is GREAT.)

I'll post the exact breaks later, but the draw was 1.2ish, the reload was 1.2 ish, splits and breaks similar in the .2s.

Ran a 4.78 right before, got pumped, relaxed and then smoked that one.

I've been doing 50-75 dry fire el prez's a night with a 5.5 par time for about a week.

Best with reg sights was 5.3 with 3 Cs.

Need to work a little harder still. Don't like those Cs. I also def. need a comp or porting to calm that dot down.

Practicing,

SA

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Twix!!!   Its a baby step for most here but a big improvement for me.  Now to break 5 seconds.  Whoo hoo!!!

Steve,  thanks for the advise again!!!  My average 'A' hit draw is 1.2 or so,  My average El Prez is in the 1.6/1.7 area.  Not sure what happen on the two second one,  but I think because I noticed my slow draw and turn I burned out the rest.  My reload was 1.5,  my fastest so far!!!   Usually I hit 1.7 or so on reloads. My splits are ok but I need to shave about .10 off my transitions.  Guess theres something to pushing yourself in practice!!!

I'll try your dry fire idea.  With my average El Prez draw times the first run would have been in the 5.7 range.  It would be cool to do one clean.  

3qt, try this next time you practice the turning draw... At the beep, get your hand on the gun before you turn. (You have to be careful not to draw it before turning though, so maybe this is something you should practice unloaded first.) Then, work on turning only your head to the targets as your hand grips your gun. Once you've got those down it'll all kind of work itself out.

Establishing your grip early is necessary to avoid flailing around for the gun as it moves about on your hip.

Thanks Erik,   Twix always harps on me to get my head around faster,  but maybe not as quick as that.  I'll try that.

Reading your post makes me think how important dry fire is.  You used the words 'flailing around'.  I have shot literally tens of thousands of rounds with just that feeling.  I feel like I'm just starting to realize how benefitial dry practice is.  

Great comment.  I am constantly amazed at how this forum makes me sit back and think.

Thanks posters!!!

I have been playing around with the idea of looking at the gun on the draw when you start facing uprange.  I figure you can't see the targets anyhow.  This way, you can immediately start turning and still grab the gun correctly since you are looking right at it.  Might beat both the 'quick head turn first' and the 'grab the gun first' methods.  In theory at least.  I haven't played with it enough to be sure.  Try it out and let me know if you think this idea has any merit.

With me, I have a really hard time whipping my head around to find the target. Usually I just see the target as soon as my left foot plants after the turn. Usually I can get just under a second with an A at 7 yards. If I try to whip my head around, it just throws me off.

T.I.S., then don't whip it, smooth it out. Sometimes slower is faster.

3qt, rule #1 is Get Thee to Thy Shooting, but to get there you have to do rule #.5, Get Thee's Hand on Thy Gun. Unless you have to deal with some prop, the first thing to do is to grip the gun. Even if you are going to run without drawing it.

BamBam,  tried the look thing today.  I like it.  It felt cleaner that way.  I only did it about 6 times but I consistantly cut .20 off my turn and draw.  Thanks.  

Of course I was blowing my reloads all day.  Still hovering around the 6 second area.  Oh well,  got the winter for dry fires!!!

Not so Flex --- I shot a 100% on this a couple years back (with my G-20). It was seven points down in 4.57. Not certain whether it was on the low end of 100%, in the middle, or on the high end.

I did shoot a 3.90 with my Open gun a few months back and dropped only two points (in practice). I followed it up with a 4.01 and had two misses and only one "A"! Ain't been anywhere close since --- typically in the very high fours. Oh well.

Lets hurry with that live fire feedback!  I have to shoot El-Prez as a classifier this weekend and I have only Friday night to dryfire practice.   So I need a good example of an 80% benchmark to set as "par".