Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone Use Solo-1000 To Load .45 Acp?

JDBraddy

I didn't much care for the pound of "Tightgroup" I recently tried. I have long used Solo-1000 for 1oz 12ga light target loads, and know that being a fast, clean burning single base shotgun powder, it's very similar to "Clays." I had about half a pound left on hand, from the last Keg I'd bought, so I decided to load up my last three hundred 200gr LSWC's, using 4.5gr of Solo-1000, to shoot in my first IDPA match. I wasn't sure what to expect, especially using an un-tested handload for my first match, but figured it would be a great excuse if I didn't do well. The load worked great! It was clean, pleasant to shoot, shot to point of aim, and I didn't have a single malfunction or misfire. This is fantastic, an inexpensive powder, that burns clean, is very pleasant to shoot, is locally available in quantity, from more than one source, and works great for both my shotguns, and my handguns. I just bought two 5 galon pails of mixed .45 ACP brass, a case of Fed-150 primers, and 1500 Precision 200gr. RNF's. As soon as I finish what I have, I'll have gotten in another paycheck, so I think I'll go buy one of the big kegs. :D

We have been using Solo 1000 for a number of years and many tens of thousands of rounds. We have found it to be clean, low flash, and soft shooting. I think it's a great powder and currently use it for 45, 9mm, and 38 Special.

With 230RN molly coated Billy Bullets we use 3.7 grains to easily make major PF. Adjust as necessary.

I have only loaded one pound of it, and the bulk of that was several years ago. I used to load 5.1g with WLP and 200g lswc. Accuracy was not spectacular, but still pretty good just under 2 inch @25. If I came across some more at a good price, I would buy more, but Universal, WST, and AA#2 have been more accurate in my Bar-Sto barrel.

• 1 month later...
We have been using Solo 1000 for a number of years and many tens of thousands of rounds. We have found it to be clean, low flash, and soft shooting. I think it's a great powder and currently use it for 45, 9mm, and 38 Special.

With 230RN molly coated Billy Bullets we use 3.7 grains to easily make major PF. Adjust as necessary.

Well, I only bought an 8 pound keg, instead of the 25 pound keg, but loading both 12ga, and .45, it's half gone already! I can't believe how fast I'm using this stuff up! I'm a little surprised by your data for a 230gr RN Molly bullet. Could you double check that charge weight for me please? I'm wondering if you perhapse meant you're making major with 4.7gr instead of 3.7gr? I did some experimenting, and with the Precision 200gr RN Molly, according to my Chrony, I was only getting about 720fps with 4.5gr, 800fps with 4.8gr and am getting around 840fps with 5.0gr, for 168 power factor. I kind of settled on the latter, since it just makes major, but I have less than 500 of the Precision 200gr RN Molly's left, and my supplier just got in a new shipment including the 230gr RN Molly's, I'm going to buy the 230gr once I finish up what I have. Accurate Powder Co. Reccomends 4.6-5.1gr for a 230gr bullet, but you're post says you're making major with 3.7gr using a 230gr Molly bullet. I'd kind of like my fingers to stay where they are!

I was using Solo 1000 under some moly 200s for a while and it's been my favorite of anything I've loaded with 45. Recently I have been using Clays, but the Solo 1000 seemed cleaner. I was making major with 4.9gr under a 200gr Masterblasters RN. I'm about to buy 8lbs of SOLO 1000 for next year.

I was using Solo 1000 under some moly 200s for a while and it's been my favorite of anything I've loaded with 45. Recently I have been using Clays, but the Solo 1000 seemed cleaner. I was making major with 4.9gr under a 200gr Masterblasters RN. I'm about to buy 8lbs of SOLO 1000 for next year.

Solo 1000 is Single base (like Vihta Vouri). Clays is double base. I find the cleanest powders to be single base run at the optimal pressure (usually high - like N320 in 40 major w/ a heavy bullet).

I load Solo 1000 in 9mm and 40 also w/ great results. AND it keeps the 625 really clean even though the Major 230 grn load is not exactly high pressure. Good stuff; hope they continue making it.

Edited by Carlos

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, I bought some of the Precision 230gr Molly RNF's, I increased the OAL I was using to 1.270", reduced the amount of crimp I was using because I had noticed it was leaving a fairly deep ring or notch all the way around pulled bullets. I then loaded a handfull over 4.8gr of Solo 1000 weighing each charge to ensure consistancy. I was getting 780-800 fps for a power factor of 180+ I also notice the slide was having a hard time stripping the first couple rounds from each magazine. I plan to reduce the charge to 4.6gr next, and if it continues having trouble stripping the first two from each mag, then mayby I'll decrease the OAL by 1/100th inch or so also.

Unless you have a throated barrel I would not increase the length any further. The 230gr Precision RNFP has a slight shoulder & the ogive can cause the bullet to contact the lands. 1.260 worked in a Schuemann barrel but the slide would not close in a Springfield Loaded or my Para. I had to go back to 1.220 for the Springfield & Para before the bullet stopped hitting the lands.

I decreased the OAL to 1.260" and the charge to 4.6gr and chronied about 30rnd today. I was still getting 750+fps, but all signs of feeding problems stoped, so I guess I'll leave the OAL at 1.260" and drop the charge another 1/5 of a grain to 4.4 I want to get the velocity to no less than 720fps, and no more than 750. I'll have to rig something to hold my screens though, as I managed to shoot one of the metal support rods that holds the screen today.

Well, I only bought an 8 pound keg, instead of the 25 pound keg, but loading both 12ga, and .45, it's half gone already! I can't believe how fast I'm using this stuff up! I'm a little surprised by your data for a 230gr RN Molly bullet. Could you double check that charge weight for me please? I'm wondering if you perhapse meant you're making major with 4.7gr instead of 3.7gr? I did some experimenting, and with the Precision 200gr RN Molly, according to my Chrony, I was only getting about 720fps with 4.5gr, 800fps with 4.8gr and am getting around 840fps with 5.0gr, for 168 power factor. I kind of settled on the latter, since it just makes major, but I have less than 500 of the Precision 200gr RN Molly's left, and my supplier just got in a new shipment including the 230gr RN Molly's, I'm going to buy the 230gr once I finish up what I have. Accurate Powder Co. Reccomends 4.6-5.1gr for a 230gr bullet, but you're post says you're making major with 3.7gr using a 230gr Molly bullet. I'd kind of like my fingers to stay where they are!

Yes. The load is 3.7 with the 230gr BillyBullets(molly coated).

And yes this is a fast barrel and it is in a 5" S&W 627. The barrel was 'broken in" when it was new. The load chronoed slower in a 1911. The temperature that day was about 105, what you might consider warm - might have something to do with the difference(maybe, but not positive).

And yes this is a fast barrel and it is in a 5" S&W 627. The barrel was 'broken in" when it was new. The load chronoed slower in a 1911. The temperature that day was about 105, what you might consider warm - might have something to do with the difference(maybe, but not positive).

Wow! Thanks Viggen, that might indeed have been it, and alerts me to something I possibly need to watch living in central Texas, this powder could change pressures, at high temps. I'll be sure and re-chronograph whatever load I settle on again, on a "Hot Day" this comming summer. I've also noticed I need considerably less than I thought I would, with the heavier 230gr bullets, I've already walked the charge down to 4.4gr and am still consistanly over my target velocity of 720-750 fps. I may have to wait a bit to continue testing, as I shot one of the rods supporting the diffuser of my chrony on the last trip to the range.

Wow! Thanks Viggen, that might indeed have been it, and alerts me to something I possibly need to watch living in central Texas, this powder could change pressures, at high temps. I'll be sure and re-chronograph whatever load I settle on again, on a "Hot Day" this comming summer. I've also noticed I need considerably less than I thought I would, with the heavier 230gr bullets, I've already walked the charge down to 4.4gr and am still consistanly over my target velocity of 720-750 fps. I may have to wait a bit to continue testing, as I shot one of the rods supporting the diffuser of my chrony on the last trip to the range.

All powders change pressures. It's only when we pay attention to it that it's noticed.

Just put the chrono in the shade - don't worry about the diffuser.

I have seen it a fair number of times when that was all that was needed for a chrono to function just fine. Besides, you don't want to miss out on getting a load together for your gun.

Another factor that may change things is humidity so you might want to consider that, or at least stay aware of it.

Edited by Viggen

I've been shooting Solo 1000 for maybe 10 years...nice clean burning, consistant and meters well in a dillon powder measure.

Here you go all loads using Solo 1000 and FED 150's

255 LRNFP's 3.6 LOA 1.190 in a 5" 1911 Should get you about 670 FPS or so

230's Lead 4.2 LOA 1.250 in a 5" 1911 Should get you about 800 FPS or so

200's LSWC 4.2 - 4.7 1.250 in a 5" 1911 SHould get you around 890 FPS or so

Another great powder for lighter bullet weights(200, 185, 175, 155) from Solo in Solo 1250.

200's LSWC 5.5-6.0 LOA 1.25 in a 5" 1911 Should get you around 885 at tops.

Use a chrono and your head and keep notes on you data.