Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Kind Of Reload Carriers?

tstuewer

Last time I shot revolver in IDPA was before the carrier rule changes in 2005. I have Safari Land III speed loaders for a .38/.357 and moon clips for my .40/10MM S&W 610. Can anyone recommend legal carriers that work well, are fast, and would work for both revolvers? Many thanks to anyone who replies.

Hi Todd

As you might remember I used the blade tech carriers for the Safari III speed loaders last year.... for SSR.

They were "okay"-----but wouldn't reccommend them.

They were pretty pricy--- slow to receive (which both seem to be common traits with Blade Tech). They hold the loaders well above the center point of your belt. So high that I had two situations last year that bending over or kneeling caused the loaders to pop out of the carrier. I heard that other shooters had complained about the same problem... so it wasn't just my middle aged waist causing the problem. Not a good thing.

I used a single carrier from Comp-Tech and had better luck with that. I believe they make double units too.

For moon clips I use the Shoot A Moon carriers from California Competition Works. They are IDPA/USPSA legal and don't cost a fortune. I probably see more of them in use than any other style.

I have never seen a holder made to handle both speed loaders and moon clips....I hope that helps.

See Ya at CCRC.

Edited by MichiganShootist

Thanks everyone, I have and will continue to use the Safari Land metal holders for the .40/10 MM moon clips for ESP (and IPSC). I ordered a set of 3 newly designed, IDPA legal carriers from Ready Tactical Products today for the .38/.357. Jeff Berger used these at the 2005 MI State IDPA match and feel that work well, his results at that match speak for themselves based on his score.

If you are using Comp 3’s, look at the stock Safariland holder for the 3 speedloaders, just cut one off, move it over in front of your holster and the other two fit on your weak side, the comp 3’s are held in by a clip, so they should stay on your belt while you move around.

If you are using Comp 3’s, look at the stock Safariland holder for the 3 speedloaders, just cut one off, move it over in front of your holster and the other two fit on your weak side, the comp 3’s are held in by a clip, so they should stay on your belt while you move around.

I don't think that carrier is allowable. It encloses NONE of the speedloader, the cartridges just set in a cup and a clip latches the speedloader down. The body of the speedloader is fully exposed across front and sides. Which the rules do not allow.

I have carriers made by The Bear with those cups on a leather slide. They worked very well, Ken Hackathorn liked them, but the do not meet present rules. So I use RTP.