Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lightly -vs- Heavily sprung guns.

TDean

What would be the consensus of the board?  Lighter spring?  

I'm thinking of experiementing with the spring weight in my Glock 22, I was thinking of trimming a coil or two off at a time until I get results I like.  Is this an acceptable practice?  It definitely is cheaper than buying several springs and swapping them around.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Also any input concerning spring weight in a Sig P-226?

My 22 handled better with a lighter spring. If I remember right it was one weight less than stock as sold by Wolff. I would buy the springs and not cut them. When you cut them you really don't know what you have and you can't go back.You won't know how it works for you until you try it.

Bill Hearne

I find I get more out of changing the hammer spring, this to me softens the recoil more noticibly. I can change springs mid match, and have, as I did at the Canadian Nationals this year. I swapped springs as I was having reliability probs. But the switch did not affect my shooting even a bit. I swapped springs between stages and shot no different. However I act on what I see, so I observe what the sights are telling me the gun is doing on recoil and I adapt.

Therefore I find the debate on springs (for me) a bit confusing and redundant. My rule of thumb is shoot the lightest spring that does not pound the frame excessively. This is not the same for all guns, a heavy comped, bull barrelled gun like a limcat needs ultra light springs eg a 7# or 8# but a lighter gun will need a bit more. I typically run a 9# to 10# in my open and 12# for limited...but I might try lighter in a .40.

I think I would spend my time just shooting  A drills :) and observing what the gun does.

Pat

Greg,

Technically, that is not true. The only difference between a Wofle 13 and 14 lb spring is that the 14 lb has two more coils. However, on most all their other springs, the wire diameter of the spring increases by .001" per lb. I used to have them all memorized so I could tell which was which using my digital calipers. Today, my digital caliper's battery went dead, so I really had to improvise. :)

Really though, the only way to really tell what is happening with EACH spring is to buy one a spring guage from Brownells. Their pricy, about 40 or 50 bucks, but for their serious experimenter, their worth it.

A coil spring is not different than a torsion bar, it's just bent in the shape of a coil instead of a straight rod. When you cut the rod, or clip the spring, the spring actually gets stiffer. However, even this basic sping theory doesn't hold true in actual the application (in the gun). I know there is a big thread on this somewhere on this forum.

be

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Quote: from Bill H on 3:55 pm on Aug. 30, 2001

I think I would rather beat my head against the wall than try to explain that on GlockTalk.If they don't believe Matt Burkett who will they believe?

Bill

After reading those posts at GT I have to agree with you.