Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Next Panamerican Championship

Hello,

The IPSC General Assembly is today. They will vote where the next Panamerican Championship will take place and Ecuador is the only candidate. The match in 2003 was there and in 2006 was in Brazil.

Why don't we have other larger regions (USA, Canada, etc) raising their hands to get the match? Would it be a security/safety question? I don't think so since we have other matches taking places in those countries.

I don't want to say that I won't go to Ecuador again. I really liked that country and I'll back there if I can for shooting or tourism. But I think that most of us would like to visit a different country each big match (World Shoot, Panamerican, European Championship...). This way, we could shoot and visit different places each time.

What do you think? :unsure:

Several reasons, but the one that springs to mind is cash.

You just can't hire Americans for $75 a month.

You can't hire Turks for that either...they hold out for $100 a month ;)

Cheap labor makes for a cheap yet extensive match without burning out the same hard working unpaid folks.

The big answer that sort of dovetails into that: The USPSA volunteer pool seems more focused on matches that mean something to Americans, like all the excellently put together well-planned high-round-count Area matches (matches which are bigger than almost all IPSC matches, not surprising since America is 1/3 to 1/2 of the membership of IPSC but without the "fun" of having to try to move firearms and ammunition through third world countries...well, except NJ, HI, MA, and CA...but I digress...).

And of course, the Nationals. ALL the various USPSA Nationals, each of which...again...is larger than Pan-anything :)

So, I (for one) am not surprised.

Alex

Ecuador (and Brazil) have a 24-30+ berm ranges courtesy of the WS. There aren't a lot of ranges in the US with that much room, and they're usually booked with other things a lot of the time, and bidding on a big match you might or might not get while you can pretty much guarantee an Area match or whatever... We did the PanAms in Barry once (2000?) and it worked ok in conjunction with a Nationals, but if somebody wants to host two separate matches, well, that's twice as many to go to.

The Columbus Cup seems to be maxing out the Central American ranges and crews, though somebody there with the experience and range area could try a Pan Am bid sometime later on. The Canadians have their own set of 10-round issues, so that kinda leaves South America and as far as I know, there aren't a ton of options there either-- how many big ranges are down there?

Ecuador (and Brazil) have a 24-30+ berm ranges courtesy of the WS.

The WS in 1996 was in Brasilia but it wasn't in the same range of last Pan Am. The whole are is a Brazilian Army range and it isn't a courtesy of the WS. ;)

Several reasons, but the one that springs to mind is cash.

You just can't hire Americans for $75 a month.

You can't hire Turks for that either...they hold out for $100 a month ;)

Cheap labor makes for a cheap yet extensive match without burning out the same hard working unpaid folks.

The big answer that sort of dovetails into that: The USPSA volunteer pool seems more focused on matches that mean something to Americans, like all the excellently put together well-planned high-round-count Area matches (matches which are bigger than almost all IPSC matches, not surprising since America is 1/3 to 1/2 of the membership of IPSC but without the "fun" of having to try to move firearms and ammunition through third world countries...well, except NJ, HI, MA, and CA...but I digress...).

And of course, the Nationals. ALL the various USPSA Nationals, each of which...again...is larger than Pan-anything :)

So, I (for one) am not surprised.

Alex

I can undertand about the money problem but I can't understand about the "larger Pan-anything". <_<

When a country is a reference in a sport (and the USA is a reference in IPSC), it should be proud in be the place for the big events in this sport. I don't think that USPSA is worried about trying to move firearms and ammunition through 'third world countries'. :angry: Maybe, as shred said, the problem is a big range available to the match. But is it the only motivation?

That's why I created this topic...

As you know USPSA has it's own rule book and interpretations of the different divisions. Hence USA does not generally host IPSC matches. The Pan-American Champs would have to be run under IPSC rules.

USPSA has elected to allow IPSC matches to be shot in USA so perhaps in time USA may put in a bid to host such a match. The new shooting range in Oklahoma could easily accomodate such a match, as well as a World Shoot.

I am hopeful that in the near future you will see some Level 4 matches in USA.

Allison,

- I know nothing of the Pan American match.

- I had no idea that the IPSC General Assembly was meeting today.

- I had no idea that the GA voted on matches.

I imagine that I am not alone.

(You also mentioned security/safety issues. I don't see that as any kind of issue at all.)

I would love to see the Pan Am's in the USA. I also wouldn't mind going back to Ecuador or going to Brazil for the first time (although the flights would have to be a bit cheaper than the $4000.00 the AMU was looking at having to pay). I think that USSA in Tulsa would be a great range to host something like this. I know the owner, Tom Fee is interested in holding major matches there. This seems like it would be right up his alley. However like Flex said, this was the first I heard that the GA was voting on the location. I don't know if Tom was aware either. It's a shame because I imagine he could do a great job.

Lawman,

You're right! They will try to have the Pan Am and the 3-Gun World Shoot in the same week. This way, they wanna try to have more fun in a week.

Flexmoney,

Most of Level IV matches (Pan Am, European Championship, etc) are once every three years.

By the way, France is now the venue for the next European Championship. The Slovak Rep gave up to held to match in the last IPSC General Assembly. This way it's easier to attend the match next year.

• 2 weeks later...

How do you say USA is 1/3 to 1/2 of IPSC? In my country we have 9,000 members in SKOE. Do you have evidence or just blah-blah?

Also big Greek match have more 300 shooter and France Med Cup have more 700 shooter? How big is US national?

One issue in the US is the number of other major matches being held. You have approximately 48 Section/State matches, 8 Area matches, 2-4 National matches (split by divisions) and a large number of other USPSA major matches. Plus you have three other major shooting sports (3-Gun, IDPA, and SASS) contending for time on the same ranges. And while the US has a lot of ranges, the number of ranges with the bays/berms and outside facilities to hold a major international match is limited.

Hopefully, things will change with the decision to hold IPSC rule matches in the US alongside USPSA rules matches.