Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Head Shots

Steve Anderson

Steve,

I think I should be the one posting this question.

...did I mention that shooting minor sucks?

I think, for me,  I need to hit the Alphas.  To do so, I need to see whatever it is I need to see to accomplish that goal.  Which requires knowing the gun and the load...and what it takes to delivery at various distances.

In the end...it is all about points per second.  We have to know if the points we get justify the time it takes to get them.

Let me know if you get it figured out...hopefully somebody here can clue us in.

In the end...it is all about points per second.  We have to
know
if the points we get justify the time it takes to get them.

I go for the A's and worry about them versus time.  I'll pass up 2 quick shots on a mover to take the 2 alphas at the head...more confidence in that ability.

But as BE as said... " At some point you will figure out that in order to win major competitions, you have to shoot points. It doesn't matter where the targets are or what they look like, you still have to shoot points. LET YOUR POINTS DICTATE YOUR TIME. In time, you should know that you can shoot A's as fast as hits, on most targets. Where it's OK to drop a few points is only on targets where shooting the A box poses too big of risk factor. A high hit factor is just a high hit factor; a low hit factor is just a low hit factor. Don't make them different. Shoot points all the time, if you want to win."

I have a psychological problem with head shots.

I'm realizing now, that a head shot at 10 yds requires a finer focus type than the body shot at 10 yds. I know that sounds obvious, but the size of the body at 10 yds was dictating the focus I used for the head.

I just don't know about demanding an a-box shot at 10 yards, thats a very precise shot at speed.

Now, 5-7 yds, I'll go for the box for sure.

Maybe ask it this way...

At what distance would you accept ANY hit on the head, as opposed to the A.

Maybe I'm chasing my tail. (again)

This is a classic example of sucking at what you don't like to practice.

Guess what I wrapped up with in practice today?

Yep. Head shots at 12 yds.

SA

I just go for a hit, any hit. The upper A/B shots already suck up too much time; to guarantee an A costs me more time than the single point is worth.

Add that to the list of Unfair Things I Hate About the Sport. The hardest shots of the match often yield fewer points than the easier shots, at a much higher cost in time.

I am guessing that Mr. Warren is shooting major since he mentioned losing 1 point.  As I said before on this site I am shooting challenged, but I have noticed that by shooting minor(Production) that my overall scores are much better, mainly I think because I shoot for points and don't worry that much about the time...ie I will go for the center head shot, in search of the A(but keep in mind I am shooting minor).  I simply make myself think "make the shot no slower or faster than you can make the hit".  For what my opinion is worth(and that ain't much)...

Quote: from vluc on 4:45 am on Nov. 7, 2002

In the end...it is all about points per second.  We have to
know
if the points we get justify the time it takes to get them.

I go for the A's and worry about them versus time.  I'll pass up 2 quick shots on a mover to take the 2 alphas at the head...more confidence in that ability.

But as BE as said...
" At some point you will figure out that in order to win major competitions, you have to shoot points. It doesn't matter where the targets are or what they look like, you still have to shoot points. LET YOUR POINTS DICTATE YOUR TIME. In time, you should know that you can shoot A's as fast as hits, on most targets. Where it's OK to drop a few points is only on targets where shooting the A box poses too big of risk factor. A high hit factor is just a high hit factor; a low hit factor is just a low hit factor. Don't make them different. Shoot points all the time, if you want to win."

While reading this, it hit me that the same argument can be used when firing doubles.  Before, I really had trouble with *double taps* bec. it would always be a shot plus a hoper.  But with enough dedication and practice, seeing the sight on every shot is now a bit easier (with little loss in time).  Maybe if I push the same dedication and practice a bit more, shooting A's fast will also become easier (I just hope it happens soon before I go broke for ammo.)

Weight-Challenged Young Person from Fayetteville,

My comment was indeed about shooting Major power factor. I'd re-think it for Minor.

On close targets, yeah, I'd go the A in Minor, but probably not beyond 5 yards.

I was faced with this situation a few times at the Area 2 Desert Classic. I had a dot sight high above my bore so I knew I'd be shooting low at the close upper A/B shots. If I wanted the As I'd have to consciously hold high. I didn't. It's just so much faster for me to subconsciously index to the center of the target area. I'll "do the math" for that stage and see if it was worth it.

That's the thing I actually like about shooting minor is that it makes me improve my skill, because I do work harder.  I'm not at the level to say that I'll go for the A at certain distances, but I do say "I'm going for the center shot" and I put in the work to try to get it, most of the time I'll get the A, sometimes I get a big fat B.  At the same time, I'm not making a tremendous time change in the effort I put into the shot, regardless of the range.  I think I'm talking in circles here...basically, I always go for the points and figure the speed will build, with time.

I keep the "do I shoot for the A box in the head or just the head" question simple. Answer, for me: At any distance, if I shoot for the A box I'll probably at least hit the head. If I just shoot for the head it's likely I'll miss it.

Really, it's the same with the body (of an IPSC target). If I just shoot for the body (brown), I'll eventually have a miss. If I shoot for the A box I seldom do.

be

Brian,

Reading those words from you really illustrates for me the reality of never really mastering the pistol.

I remember when I first read the book, the line about learning something on every shot seem a little...too...zen, but now I understand what it means.

I always aim for an A on the body...and will now do so for the head.

"you remember what I taught you boys about shooting?"

"aim small, miss small."

SA

Steve,

Especially if you're all juiced up - a certain "margin of error" is not a bad  thing. And if you've personally realized that you can "find and shoot the middle of the target," as fast as you can shoot AT the entire target, then there is no contradiction.

be

I think you have to shoot for the A's on the head. Partially because of what Brian said - in reality if you miss your target then you will get a B but . . .

Let's say you have a stage where you shoot doubles on 5 head shots - and lets say distances vary from 5 yards to 13 yards. If you only shoot for the head my experience would dictate that you'll drop anywhere from 5 to possibly ten points (if you don't miss) Think about that. Theoretically let's say it's 8 points. If you think "A" more will happen, your time will probably suffer minimally, and your risk of tossing a shot goes down.

I used to always evaluate head shots as hit or miss - and under that school of thought I always dropped a lot of points on head shots because of B's. Today I have to go for A's and hope that my time holds up.

I would also point out that while reading articles of the "greats" almost inevitably they'll say that a match is won by he who screws up the least. In this day and age it is almost never won by smoking any given stage. Again this demostrates taking the risk of a slightly slower time (possibly I might add - you may actually shoot the same time) and solid hits vs. higher risk of a miss and dropping a lot of points.

Maybe I typed too much - just my $.02.

JB

I posted in the classifer section under XMAS.  

http://www.brianenos.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard...=27&start=0

With that classifier a third of the shots are head-shots.  Not knowing the zero of my gun/ammo (new combo) cost me five Bravo hits...10 points.  That was the difference between a GM run and an A-class run.