Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Quick Question On 1050

All:

I was swapping the machine over from 38sc to 40sw. They both are small primer pockets and am using the same brand primer although the 38sc uses the Winchester SRP and the 40sw uses the SPP.

I was assuming I wouldn't have to mess with the primer system on this. However, the primers need to be seated deeper in the 40sw than the adjustment had on the 38sc. Is this to be expected?

Steven

All:

I was swapping the machine over from 38sc to 40sw. They both are small primer pockets and am using the same brand primer although the 38sc uses the Winchester SRP and the 40sw uses the SPP.

I was assuming I wouldn't have to mess with the primer system on this. However, the primers need to be seated deeper in the 40sw than the adjustment had on the 38sc. Is this to be expected?

Steven

I would always check and re-adjust, if necessary, after changing even only one thing (in the same caliber). Let alone a complete caliber with all the variables involved. So yes, always expect the unexpected.

;)

Thx folks..

I required a half turn on the primer depth adjustment so it wasn't much. I am still getting used to it and didn't want to not understand something.

The 38sc rounds I loaded (1500) were on new brass, JHP rounds. Smooth sailing.

The 40sw stuff is mixed headstamp glocked brass. I amusing the Undersize resizing die. Not quite as smooth LOL!

I did have a problem with some speer brand cases. the old primer looks to not be pushed completely out. The swager sqaushed it real nice. The first one made it through to the primer seating before I noticed a problem. (Thought it was the extra effort of the glocked 40 brass). Lets say I am amazed that the new primer didn't go pow.

Another adjustment on the decapping pin and all was sailing great for the 100 round test batch.

Now.. I need another 1050 so I can leave one setup for wach caliber :D

Steven

The only time I ever had a problem with a Speer case was because I didn't throw it in the trash.

;)

Some seem to have no issues with Speer. I have and I just chuck 'em now. Not worth the effort.