Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Small Pistol Primers Which Ones?

newshooter

Hello I was wondering what the majority of the people out there use when they make the round. I hear from some people to use small rifle primers and at the same time others are saying use small magnum pistol primers. What is the advantage/disadvantage of using any of those primers? I am just starting to load 40 cal. ammo and have been loading 45acp. So when I get to 40 some people say us standard primer others say uses rifle and others say us magnum. They are all the same price just which one would you all recommend. Thanks

Joey

Small rifle for .38 super becuse they are harder and the primer doesn't fow into the firing pin hole.. I pretty much use rifle for all small pistol loads because then I only have 1 primer to keep track of.

I like Federal, but use whatever I can get a deal on lately.

I use Small Pistol for 40 - usually Winchester, sometimes Federal.

40 can be touchy and although some do go with small rifle, I don't think it's the best idea out there. Your not lighting 20 or 30 grains of powder, just stuff in the 4-6 grain range - depending on powder.

I do much as L2S does - Winchester Small Rifle for almost all my .40 fodder, and for the same reasons as L2S cites for .38 super (although with the lower pressure of the lower Power Factor, there's much less primer flow to worry about).

Some folks note a small difference in the velocity with the use of small rifle vs small pistol primers (a bit more with the rifle), but not all, and, in my case, the difference is not large.

While many consider small pistol primers of different brands to be virtually identical, a more prudent course would be to work up the load each time you get a new batch of primers, whether the same brand or not.

Kevin C.

if you do load rifle primers in the 40, you need to make sure your load developes enough pressure to seal the primer...otherwise you will get breechface errosions.

For light loads i use federal 100s

For heavy loads i use federal 200s

if i only shot 1911 pistols in 40 caliber, i would use winchester or remington or any other brand of small PISTOL primers, but since i shoot glocks, i prefer federal brand primers.

I personally do not see any need for rifle primers in the 40. pistol primers are fine for all sane 40 caliber loads..

thats my 2 cents

Harmon

I use Winchester Small Pistol Magnum for everything---40 minor and major, 9x19

minor and major, all out of Glocks. Only have to keep one primer in stock.

Gives me more consistent velocity, especially on 40 minor. Not as much flow,

but still 100% ignition with a light striker spring in 9 major.

For all pistol loading, (we're talking semi-auto pistols) I use either Winchester or Remington Small or Large pistol standard primers. For Revolver shooting, I try to only use Federal Small or Large pistol primers but have found acceptable reliability from Winchester Small pistol primers. Even when I was loading 357 magnum loads utilizing 296 or H110, I still used standard Win SP primers. I have been told that I should use rifle primers for high pressure loads in 38 super and 40 S&W. I have had no need for rifle primers in either since I never seem to have any signs of over pressure loads, even when pushing the 38 super. It might be because I utilize heavier bullets with super slow powder that I don't have the need for it. I've never blown a primer in any loads in 40 or 38 super so I've no need to use them. I do use Small rifle primers in 223 Remington, but then that is where it counts. Since I do those on a single stage press, I can load them with CCI SR primers.

Vince

Unless we're talking about revos, there's nothing a Win Small Pistol primer does that a Small Rifle doesn't do better. Cleaner. More consistent. And one less type of primer to stock in the shop. Unless I buy a small bore wheelgun, I'll never buy a small pistol primer again.