Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1st Annual Cactus League Combat Shotgun Match

I am proud to say after months of trying to get this going I have been able to put together a shotgun only match. All be it is set up for a local/state level match anyone that would love to make the trip is more than welcome to come. I have only been able to phenagal enough targets and range space for 5 stages but I feel it will be a fun shoot for all. One day match, limited entries, estimated round count of 100 bird, 10 slug (thats with some extras in case of misses). I will have the application up on the clubs website as soon as possible.

http://www.cactusmatch.com/

Early sign up discount. Three divisions: Open (comps, ports, speed loaders, optics), Semi-auto, and pumps. PM me or post if you have any questions. I will be updating this as I get further. Hope to get the info and application up on the website soon. Scheduled for November 19th, 2006. Thats all for now, hope to see you all there.

Now to pack for Raton, I leave tomorrow. Yeah!!!!!

Jay

Here is the application for the match. Hope this download link works.....

http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.php?cat=...match_Flyer.doc

Hope to see you all there. I think it is gonna be a good match. If anyone would like to be a sponsor please PM me. I am working on Sportsmans Warehouse and Cabela's along with a couple others.

Edited by jbullgpd

Ummmm..... I didn't see anything about match flyers with that link. I'm going to be in Phoenix that weekend for a family gathering. I'd love to shoot the match, but don't think it would go over well if I pack my shotgun and shellholders :D

I promise I won't tell, you can ship direct to me and then just disappear for a couple of hours, no one will notice........ :D:D As for the link it takes you to the file site and there is a thing that says dowload the match flyer here.....

I'll be there with my single shot Benelli. <_<

Is there going to be a division for those of us with single shots?

HAH!!! Sure we will put you with the short bus crew.....um I mean the special people...... :D I didnt know Benelli made a bolt action.....LOL

Sounds fun...I'll plan on being there with my Saiga-12 as long as it keeps chugging along.

Sponsorship info?

We have some cut down single shot 12 gauge break actions left over from an police evidence gun auction if anyone wants to shoot "gangsta' style"

I'll take'em!!!!!! Just trying to put some stuff on the table for everybody...... BTW missed ya at RM3G, everyone was wondering where you were......I guess you have to work at some point, can't shoot all the matches......LOL....

I'll be there with my single shot Benelli. <_<

Is there going to be a division for those of us with single shots?

I thought Benelli's never broke, never missed, and never malfunctioned. Did I make a mistake buying one?

Italian shotguns are like Italian cars -- when they're running, they run like a scalded dog. When that take a dump, you're gonna wish you had a Toyota.

I have an M2 that I picked up a couple of months ago that had been running fine *until* I got to Raton. On stage 4 (shotgun, 6 birdshot, 18 slugs), I started having problems with the bolt not closing on a new shell (had to tap the bolt forward to get it to close). Stage 6 (all birdshot), I had 3 failures to feed out of the mag tube. I'll have to spend some time at the range to figure out what is going on with it. Hopefully I'll have it figured out in time for this match, otherwise I'll be running my 870.

Hopefully I'll have it figured out in time for this match, otherwise I'll be running my 870.

Hey theirs nothing wrong with an 870!!!!! :P:P I think I'm gonna shoot mine in simple protest to semi-auto's :) That and I will proably be shipping my 1100 off for work about then.....:)

Is the M2 a basically stock gun? I just picked on up, put an SRM extension on it. Got it on a Friday, put 5 boxes of shells through it on Saturday, used it in a match on Sunday. It runs fine with Winchester/Western target loads. Also with Remington Managed Recoil slugs. As I've said, anything mechanical is subject to failure.

As far as Italian cars. I've heard that Ferrari's should come with trailers.....so you can tow it back to the dealer when it craps out on you :D

Is the M2 a basically stock gun? I just picked on up, put an SRM extension on it. Got it on a Friday, put 5 boxes of shells through it on Saturday, used it in a match on Sunday. It runs fine with Winchester/Western target loads. Also with Remington Managed Recoil slugs. As I've said, anything mechanical is subject to failure.

As far as Italian cars. I've heard that Ferrari's should come with trailers.....so you can tow it back to the dealer when it craps out on you :D

My M2 has had only minor mods made to it: SRM mag extension, a C-Rums welded up lifter, and an Arredondo Speedloader assist have been installed. Otherwise, no 'smith has touched it.

Jay... not knocking the 870. I may run mine anyway for the same reason -- I may be shipping out my M2 to be worked on, so I might as well go old school... B) It's one of the DPS trade-ins, so it's got a little "character" to it.

Edited by MP5_guy

It's one of the DPS trade-ins, so it's got a little "character" to it.

Sweet, yeah we actually have a few old ones here that say Arizona Highway Patrol, HAH!!!!!! They actually run pretty smooth since they are well broken in but they need some springs changed out.

Jay,

How many stages? I noticed you start pretty early, as opposed to out here in the northeast. Might you have an idea how late it might run? I'm giving it a thought. :)

As of right now 5 stages. Mixture of moving and shooting. You will see some clay flippers, one wall of ports, and a modified El Prez just to name a few. I couldn't get any more bays available as of yet so I am maxed out at 5. We are hoping, depending on the number of shooters, to have shooting done by 1400, results and awards by 1500.

Jay

Are there any stages with slugs?

Yeppers........ 2 out of the 5 stages intermingle slugs with shot. One is the modified El Prez and the other is a long ported wall with intermigled falling steel, no shoots, and steel slug gongs.

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the delay on your ? must have missed it. As far as hotels there are some in Anthem north of town or you could stay at some nice hotels right around the I-17 and Loop 101. If you want some around some more attractions you could stay at several around the Loop 101 and Bell Rd. Lots of good restraunts and bars around there. Let me know if you need more info....

Quick update on the match. Russel from Cav Arms just emailed me and was gracious enough to be one of our sponsors. Thanks Guys!!!!! Hope to see some of you all there. Working on Cabela's and Sportsmans Wharehouse as we speek for other sponsors. We will see. Had a couple back out on me but hey thats the trials and tribulations of running a match.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am happy to announce that Sportsmans Wharehouse has stepped up to become our match sponsor. To include a drawing for a shotgun they also have given us enough stuff to make sure that everyone gets something. Deadline for early entry discount is November 1st. Come one, come all. I think it will be a great match. Any questions please email at jbullgpd@yahoo.com