Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Proudest Shooting Accomplishment

mpeltier

My son Dalton has been attending matches with me scince he was 6yrs old. mostly watching, pasting and resetting targets and scrounging brass for me. Getting safety lessons along the way. I never force him to go. At home I set up airsoft targets and simulated stages that I use to teach basic safety and gun handling skills. He has heard the words "Watch your muzzle" and "Finger of the trigger" more than a few times. He loves to shoot the stages. Yesterday when we went to our monthly match I brought a Walther P22 as a surprise for him after the match. We set up on a range that had a bunch of steel and after a quick safety briefing and instruction he was blasting away at the steel. After about 400 rounds he was not only hitting the steel with great regularity he was hitting them fast. I had to keep telling him to slow down a notch. When we were done he said to me "Dad, that was totaly AWESOME." The smile on his face was priceless. I have shot a lot of club matches and totally love the shooting, yesterday with Dalton was the best, and proudest accomplishment to date.

post-6767-1155471509.jpg

I look forward to the day that I can get my son into shooting. He isn't ready yet but his old man can't wait. I remember my uncle taking me to shoot trap when I was 11. It was the first time I had ever seen a real live gun let alone fired one. I was hooked from that moment on. It is nice that you are making those memories for your son. One day he will do the same for his.

That's awesome! My son is about to turn 6, and at the gun show last weekend, I got him an airsoft Glock. I needed one to practice draws and things for IDPA, and of course he had to have one just like Daddy's. :-) He has a little trouble pulling the trigger(I think the airsoft ones are heavier than the real stock Glock), but he is really having fun shooting with me. One day I hope to do something like what you did with him.

that is great stuff....watching them and the smile afterwards is priceless...

my seven-year-old son is great with a benched .22 rifle on steel plates...and my 3-year-old daughter giggled and smiled when she got to pull the trigger for the first time...