Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Revolver Grips Kit Put Your Order In Now!

cking

Getting to ready to order, need to know what frames you want. See last post.

I never thought of myself having large hands, just normal. However the miculek, hogue grips are all to small in area where your third [bird] finger grips under the trigger guard. I end up holding the gun with ring finger and pinky. So I've filled them with epoxy and shaped them but it is so ugly, plus the lower pinky section is good on miculek but terrible on Hogue.

Is there anyplace I can get a grip cut like miculek and hogue, cut and glued, but with just lots of wood on outside so I can just have at with my rasps.

what i've found if the grip is right the front sights don't wobble on hammer drop.

Edited by cking

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen guys build grips out of automotive putty (bondo). It works but it's UGLY. I use Eagle grips. The "Classic" model they sell is smooth and has a palm swell in the right side like the old Jordan Trooper style grip. They also come in round butt to square butt configurations. A little pricey is the only problem. You could also try a custom stock maker like Randall Fung or Herrett's. They usually have you trace an outline of your hand and make it to your specs.

I'd like to try a Big Butt grip.

I think their website might be www.bigbuttmania.com but I'm not really sure.....

Sorry guy, wrong fetish.

Look here: http://www.getgrip.com/main/overview/comp.html

I'm trying to work myself up to ordering one without the finger grooves. B)

Maybe we could convince somebody like Hogue to sell a do it yourself grip. Inside finished but rest is left oversized so you can whittle away at it yourself.

Years ago I saw grip a guy made himself, and uses some kind of a scalopping knife that made the finish stock look like fish scales. Was nice because the would let you slip in one direction then catch in the other direction.

I talked with Hogue and they said the will sell unfinished grips. Price would be in $40.00 range if I could order say 12. Anybody interested?

I'm trying to work myself up to ordering one without the finger grooves.

Waltermitty - That's the way to go. I ordered a set for my Colt OP (same grip frame as a Python) and they were way too big for me. The finger groove ones fit better...except for the finger grooves... :wacko:

Check http://www.hogueauction.com and find out if they have any there. You can probably get a set for about $30 including shipping. These are Hogue's "seconds", usually due to undesirable grain, but if you're going to cut on them, who cares?

I talked with Hogue and they said the will sell unfinished grips. Price would be in $40.00 range if I could order say 12. Anybody interested?

I'd like to try a set, Mr. King.

I'd like to try a set, Mr. King.

I'd be interested also, maybe even 2 sets.

And as revchuck stated, you can get a set off the aution page and have at it, here's some

blurry pic's of one I did. Started out as a set of rnd butt to square butt conversion grips,

they were big sized when I got them which was good. Fired up the dremel and the oscillating

sander and had at it. I just don't think I could duplicate them.

Ok

Here's what the guy told me about how they make them.

They get a block wood about 11" long, 5" wide and 2" deep. Then it goes into the first cutter, which cuts the inside profile, the outside profile, and dowel holes for location of the two halves. Supposedly there are six dowels. Then the two halves are glued, and then the outside profiles are cut.

So we could find the biggest profile, like big butt with no finger grooves. Plus the attachment bracket, screw and bushing.

Price would be in $40 range for the Goncalo wood.

So frame styles would probably be K/L square & round and N frame square and round. Anybody want any Colts?????

Lets start a little list of what frames and styles. Other woods would drive the price up. Pau Ferro would probably cost $10 more.

The more we get the cheaper they will be.

Ok

They get a block wood about 11" long, 5" wide and 2" deep. Then it goes into the first cutter, which cuts the inside profile, the outside profile, and dowel holes for location of the two halves. Supposedly there are six dowels. Then the two halves are glued, and then the outside profiles are cut.

So we could find the biggest profile, like big butt with no finger grooves. Plus the attachment bracket, screw and bushing.

So frame styles would probably be K/L square & round and N frame square and round. Anybody want any Colts?????

Lets start a little list of what frames and styles. Other woods would drive the price up. Pau Ferro would probably cost $10 more.

I don't know if it can be done but you might want to ask for a real tight/close frame relief

cut. I've modified 2 Jerry grips and broke into the frame opening on both these 2 down at

the bottom of the front strap.

My vote would be N frame Round butt

Ok

I'm in for the BB. Are these finished grips or "in the white"?

Got a little wander going on. This are semi finished grips. Come in two halves, with dowels, and hardware. inside is cut, outside profile is cut no shaping done, no finish work. Do your own widdling!

Can't control frame cuts or anything else. This is just normal grips that are pulled off the line before they are finished.

So we are going to get the largest, longest grip available. Probably the big butt with no finger grooves. They will NOT have the glued on finger/butt caps.

Pictures are on the way!!!!! S

Stay tuned

Ok here is the pics. As noted they can delete the profile cut which allows even larger grips.

The profile cut is the white line I put on pic.

Let me know what you think?

Remember this would include the dowels and hardware, hanger, screw, bushing.

post-4565-1154457528.jpg

post-4565-1154457544.jpg

Ok so far we've got 10mmDave and Nemo. Anybody else?

I want to get this order in ASAP. A I want to start widdling on mine. I find it relaxing to sit carve, who knows they may even look good when I'm done.

I want to get this order in ASAP. A I want to start widdling on mine. I find it relaxing to sit carve, who knows they may even look good when I'm done.

Can I get mine made out of the table top :D:P:D

Nice piece of wood.

I would think we'd want to omit the profile cut.

Curly maple I believe, but I've seen formica with that pattern.

Yep, dropping the profile cut is the plan

I'm in one for N frame round butt, and K frame square butt.

Lets start collecting the want list. Then I'll finalize the price and we'll PM each other on the details.

I'm looking to make any money on this, just get what I need/want.

That looks like a bigger project than I'm ready for.