Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Winchester 1oz Loads At 1350fps In A Benelli?

smokshwn

Anyone have any experience with this loading in a Benelli M1? How did it function? Specifics on gun set up (lightened bolt, porting, sidesaddles, etc) would be helpful as well.

My local Walmart has a special on this stuff ($32.50/case) and it sure would be nice cheap practice ammo.

Thanks, Craig

i've not run those specific rounds thru my M1, but have run 1oz AA's with no problem, and some 1oz @ 1140fps thru it with no problem. to date, if my memory serves me right, the only thing that didn't run 100% was speer low recoil slugs.

i say buy'em and use for practice. trapr

sorry, gun set up is unmodified, trapr

No Trapr will not be at RM3G this year. He is one of only 4 U.S. shotgun shooters (team America) that will be shooting for the U.S.A at the European shotgun championships in Kaval Greece.Tough duty, but someone has to do it! :D

will do!

i was just out at the range rechecking my zero on my AR, for the CMG rifle/carbine match in raton, next week. and had CAPT. AMERICA (mr. weakhand) speak in my abscence. its always nice to know, your friends are looking out for you. he is my teammate for the match, both raton and greece.

like he said its really gonna be a rough time, but somebody has to go.

take care craig, look forward to that soda????? soon. trapr

Craig, those two are just gonna make Greece look untidy and drink all the booze so I will

be the official interpreter and defuser of potential International incidents !! :lol:

Hope you are well mate and good luck at Raton, we will have a few cold one for ya ! ;)

I worked at a bar all the way through college and the owners were Greek. One summer a few of us went over to visit and tour with them. Keeping in mind we all worked in a bar and could easily be considered "Professionals" it was pretty tuff to keep up in the booze dept.

Good luck you guys, hand out a few lessons while you are there and try not think about all the hotties on the beach while you are shooting. That will surely cause a crash, but might be worth it :D

Smokshwn,

I have found that I needed at least 1 1/8oz. loads to make my Benelli cycle reliably. I also run the Super Sporting clays load that clocks 1,300 fps. I have a standard Benelli with a reduced power recoil spring, but everything else is stock. I seem to have the ability to stop a Benelli on demand, so I have to run the heavy stuff. YMMV.

Erik

Anyone have any experience with this loading in a Benelli M1? How did it function? Specifics on gun set up (lightened bolt, porting, sidesaddles, etc) would be helpful as well.

My local Walmart has a special on this stuff ($32.50/case) and it sure would be nice cheap practice ammo.

Thanks, Craig

The Wallmart here has that same special going on.

And no, it doesn't run in my Benelli M1. :(

I have a 26 comp'd barrel on my Open M1, lightened bolt carrier and light recoil spring. I have to run at least 1 1/8 oz to get the reliability, and same as Eric, I seem to be able to stop it on demand as well...

the interesting thing is my Benelli seems to have less recoil than my wife's with her 1 oz light target loads! It's a M1 with 18.5 in barrel (no comp) and pistol grip, the entire shotgun is stock...

go figure... :wacko:

jj

Erik and JJ,

I was one of those guys as well, screaming to heavens about benellis not running for me. I used to love winning beers with guys handing me the Benelli and betting on stopping it. I usually could get one to choke within 3-4 rds. I wanted to go open very badly and tried to build an SX2 but there was a lot of effort involved for no much return. Anyway the M1 I have seems to run extremely well. I have my tube on, arredondo funnel, etc. and it still runs. Not a lick of internal work done yet. I generally shoot the 1 1/8 oz sporting clays loads as well (1300fps), anyway I did buy a case so I will see how it shoots.

Thanks for the input, Craig

Smokshwn,

I have my tube on, arredondo funnel, etc. and it still runs.

If you are using your M1 in Open, then you definitely want the stronger stuff! The Benelli is very sensitive to weight. A longer tube and funnel will definitely push the envelope. I would not try to run the generic Wal-Mart stuff. Stay with the stronger stuff and give yourself that extra margin of safety.

Erik

erik, what do you mean by "very sensitive to weight" & are you referring to one set up for open, or in general?

i've run mine with a full side saddle (7rds), and 4 rounds on the forend, and 11 rounds in the gun, and if memory serves me, it ran just fine? also my mag tube is hanging unsupported, don't know if that helps or hurts.

i'm just curious, what you mean by " very sensitive to weight". as i have had no problem running remington handicap @ 1140fps, or 1oz clay loads at under 1200fps. :mellow::unsure:

trapr

Color me the same shade as Trapr...curious. The open setup I have for my Benelli is a 28" barrel w/ comp and the tube holds a nice round number of shot at 14, one on the carrier and one in, makes for a 16 round IPSC open gun. Now Erik can stop a Benelli on demand, I've seen him do it, but to say they are weigh sensitive hasn't been my experience.....Maybe nice Italian women just don't like spare tires :lol:

I will know tomorrow.

I have been screwing around with trying to get a Jpoint mounted on it. The mount from JP is for a Rem profile barrel (John warned me) and it has turned into quite the little project.

The upside is I have enough time with JB weld and a dremel tool to give Dan, Benny, or Bob a run for their money :P

Edited by smokshwn

The mount from JP is for a Rem profile barrel (John warned me) and it has turned into quite the little project.

The one I mounted on my Remington was the one JP makes for a 1" tube rifle scope. I found a wood dowel same diameter as my bbl at the place I wanted it. I wrapped the dowel in coarse emery cloth and ran that suckah' back and forth till it fit the bbl real nice and real low. Then I roughed up the bbl where the mount was to be glued on and used a high temp epoxy (good to 500F) that was rated for both metals (aluminum and steel). I did not try JB weld because John Paul told me that he used a high temp industrial strength metal rated epoxy he bought in bulk. I hunted up something with similar ratings from my local hardware supply. IIRC it was a Loctite product. It's seen over 2 years of hard knock-about multi-gun use and it's still solid as a rock :-)

George what I am ending up trying is I took and found the place I wanted to mount the sight and set up the aluminum JP mount and "bedded" with the JB weld in order to fill the gaps and get it to the right height for the rib and my cheek weld. Then I used the Loctite product JP sends with the mount. So hopefully it will hold together, I will know tomorrow.

If this doesn't work then I will go with the gunsmith mount that JP has and do the sand to fit method and try again.

All that failing I have a buddy who works for Mcdonnel Douglas and I hear tell they have a few epoxies that should do the trick :P

Wish me luck.

George will you be at RM3G?

Not this year, especially after squandering all my spousal good graces at the US Multigun last week.

I wound up going as low as I could get to simulate a bead on the vent rib when I mounted my JPoint (I cut away a chunk of the rib to get the mount right on the bbl so the dot is right where a bead would be). When I was finished lapping, I had a close fit with bare metal and just coated the contact surface with the Loctite epoxy I bought and let it cure for 2 days before testing it.

I had to rig a jig that held the shotgun vertical with a boresight on a target 25 feet away. The mount was glued on with the JPoint mounted and I used a combination of tape, clothespins and bananna peels to get the dot right on the boresighted target while the sight stayed level. Interesting thing is that it printed slugs on the money at 40 yards when I went to test it ;-)

Iwas talking about weight on the gun, not weight of the body. If they were weight sensitive my gal wouldn't hang with me either :D

I wish you guys had asked how to mount a J.Point on a Benelli, I figured out the slickest way long ago. Take the Weaver mount the J.Point comes with and mill righ down the middle of it underneath with a 3/8" mill bit till it almost touches the brass screw escuhions. Drill two holes and tap. Put it in the rib right were most people run the flip up sight, at the back befor it swoops up to the rib. I think I used 6x48 screws. This puts the J.Point almost at the same hight as the bead and the window is back far enough to not occlude much side vision. It is screwed on well and I never had any problems with zero wonder or anything. It is the best set up for Benellis. KURT

Kurt,

That sounds very much how the arredondo mount sets up. Now that I am done I can see (again) how having the right tools or close access to a local smith who would be willing to work with you would make my life a lot easier.

Anyway it is sitting curing up right now so we will know in a day or two how it works out. Prayers, animal sacrifices, or finger crossing would be welcomed :D