Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.41 Action Express Ammunitin

I used to have a .41AE barrel for my 9mm Witness. Neat caliber :) Samson used to make the only factory ammo - as shred says, its probably hard to come by here in the States, anyhow...

Its not fire formed or anything. In effect, it's a .40 w/ a 9mm case head (its rebated rim). You have to have specific brass for it...

Kind of a .357 Sig opposite.... ;)

Finding bullets was always the PITA - .410 caliber bullets in an auto-friendly format and size just isn't easy...

If its a Desert Eagle your shooting it out of your better off buying a new barrel for it in .357 or 44. IF its not a DE then good luck. I still have a box of .50 Action Express that I never used sitting around. Expensive to shoot.

Flyin40

jeez six unique replies, that's more people than actually own a .41 :D

Well I am late on the thread but I have two guns that I can convert to .41 AE.

I was stationed in Germany in the 90's and brought back a Tanfoglio "IPSC Ultra" special edition of a Tangfoglio in .41 AE. I fitted a Briley 9mm barrel to it and mostly shoot it in 9mm.

I also have an IMI conversion kit to change my Hi-Power to .41 AE.

I reload it on my 550 but don't shoot it much. I also have 500 or so rounds of factory ammo somewhere in my stuff.

It is actually a great round. Most consider it the same as a .40 S&W but you can actully push it closer to a 10mm than the .40.

By the way the original .41 AE brass was made out of .41 Magnum cases

Neal in AZ

When the .41 Came out, Tanfoglio were going to do a series of IPSC commemorative pistols in .41. Tanfoglio offered IPSC Regional Directors a pre production sample. I was RD for Hong Kong at the time and ordered one with a 9mm barrel as well as getting .41 ammo into Hong Kong would prove difficult. When the gun arrived, Serial number DVC0018 it had the .41 barrel in so I immediatly swapped it for the other barrel and loaded a magazine with 9mm. Went onto the range and chambered the round. The whole round went straight down the barrel and fell on the ground. It turned out that due to the Italian paranoia over military calibres, they couldn't send me a 9mm barrel so had thoughtfully provided me with two .41 barrels.

Later we bought some of the production commemoratives. By then .40 had come out so we bought the guns to shoot 9mm, .41 and .40. (Two slides and three barrels). Used it for many years as a .40 cal gun and still have both guns but have never fired a round of .41 out of either.

Peter Dawson

That is the one I got. Two tone with a DVC shield on the hardchrome frame and DVC Serial number on slide and frame. I had a Wichita adjustable sunk in the rear and a new front blade that was dovetailed in from the front because of the holes in the slide.

Neal in AZ

Edited by Intel6

• 2 months later...