Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Primer Selection For .40 Glock

aggie dad

Well my used 550B and caliber upgrade goodies/dies from BE will be arriving soon. I have purchased some once fired Federal brass and will we using N320 and Precision Bullets 185s. Now I need to purchase primers, but would like some advice on what to use and whether there are better alternatives to buying these locally.

Thanks,

Doug

Definitely use Federal unless you're running stock springs.

Just switching to a reduced power striker spring gave me 1 or 2 light strikes per 100 rounds using Winchester primers.

Zero problems using Federal primers.

You might try a 1K box of small rifle if you're not going to run reduced power springs. It cuts down on the number of primer types I have lying around the shop. I've run a lot through my stock Glocks with no ignition issues so far.

Fed100 or Fed 200 primers are the best glock primers made

I really like the way they feel when you seat them..watch the fed100s with top end loads in the glock though. the primer cup is approximately 0.008" thick and with a high pressure load, you could get a pierced primer.

This was especially true with WST and 180 JHPs loaded short and to major.

Harmon

Harmon, I got some Federal 100s at Cabelas to try for my beginning efforts. Next time, I will look at Market Hall gun show to purchase, as Cabelas price wasn't cheap. I am really looking forward to getting started. My goodies from Brian arrived very fast (5 days from order to my front door), an EGW die is intransit, and my used Dillon press will ship tomorrow.

I am planning to load to major with Precision 185s using N320, and will probably load them longer, in the 1.180 - 1.190 range. I hope I don't run into any lead shaving problems with the coated bullets, as has been periodically mentioned on the board.

Thanks everyone!

Doug

I've punctured quite a few Federal 100's with Major9 ammo but no pierced primers for me with any 40cal ammo.

The 9Major punctures were always with tiny-grain powder [HS6 or SP2] that runs thru the flash-hole. Didn't happen with VihtaVuori powder, even with 115gr bullets at 1485fps.

I use the Wolff light striker spring in my G24. If memory serves, I have never had a WLP primer misfire with it. No matter what anecdotes may prove to some, Federal primers are not recommended for use in automatic primer feeds. Just because someone says they've reloaded 20 thousand Federal primers in their 650 with no problem says nothing about the unpleasant results when number 20,001 chainfires the primer magazine. This has happened, which is why the dillon primer tube is surrounded by a heavy-duty steel shield. This is the manufacturer's recommendation, and I'm sticking to it.

To avoid an argument, which I don't want, I will insert the obligatory "YMMV." I have already conceded above that many people load Federals without incident. If you insist on doing this, my opinion is to ensure that you follow the other good reloading protocols of having no more primers or powder cans on the bench when reloading is in progress. My supplies stay in a steel locker 10 feet away while I'm reloading; I get out 100 primers when I need them (or, if using multiple tubes, keep the loaded tubes in the locker). Same thing with the powder I'm using; I only bring the powder can to the bench when filling the measure.

Edited by Rico567

ive loaded over 100K federal primers without a detonation.

I use them because they go off when the firing pin hits them 100 percent. with winchesters you can get light hits from time to time.

still someone who is not careful can make a bag of flour explode.

best primer for a tuned glock = federal

Best primer for a un-tuned reloading press with an absent-minded operator....= buy factory ammo.

my 2 cents

Harmon