Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Precision Coated Bullets

Bob Hostetter

I just ordered up 250 of Precision Bullet's coated 45cal 200gr LSWC's to try. Has anyone else used them and were you happy with them? Did you find the load data the same as with a lead bullet or closer to a jacketed bullet? Accuracy good?

Looking for a cheaper alternative to jacketed bullets..........

Just got mine in today.

I have shot the old style cast Precision, Ranger, Bull-X CSJ, and Bear Creek coated.

Now setting up to try new swaged Precision and Masterblasters coated.

Just a matter of picking a smooth feeding, accurate style and checking to see whether one brand makes more or less smoke than other. Coated lead is less expensive than jacketed and I prefer them to plated.

Load data as for conventional wax lubed cast, but check on chronograph, the coating might affect muzzle velocity and power factor.

I just ordered up 250 of Precision Bullet's coated 45cal 200gr LSWC's to try. Has anyone else used them and were you happy with them? Did you find the load data the same as with a lead bullet or closer to a jacketed bullet? Accuracy good?

Looking for a cheaper alternative to jacketed bullets..........

Unless you are shooting Open there is NO reason to use anything else...Ever. IMHO.

Less powder, less recoil.. Clean and cheaper. :)

For every negative post you will see 10 positive about Precision Black Bullets.

Well, they seem to be pretty accurate, averaged about 2.5" at 25 yards. Not as much smoke compared to lead but they have a different smell to them.

Whats everyone using for powder in the 45? I have been using up the last of my Winchester 231 but its seems a lot dirter then when I used it 20 years ago. And when shooting over a table I seem to be getting a lot of unburnt powder lying on the table. Probably going to try something with a little faster burn rate, maybe IMR "PB".

Unless you are shooting Open there is NO reason to use anything else...Ever. IMHO.

Per Precision's website, you can run their bullets to 2000 fps without leading.

I'm looking at a load for my open gun running around 1350 fps. Is the coated bullet a bad idea? Due to leading or something else?

Thanks.

I'm looking at a load for my open gun running around 1350 fps. Is the coated bullet a bad idea? Due to leading or something else?

Thanks.

It gums up the comp. To much trouble.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks.

Good luck with that. I just spent two hours cleaning lead out of my Springfield's barrel. I was using the 230grn RNFPs and 3.8 grn of Clays. Anybody else seen this?

Thanks.

Good luck with that. I just spent two hours cleaning lead out of my Springfield's barrel. I was using the 230grn RNFPs and 3.8 grn of Clays. Anybody else seen this?

The exact load I shoot. And - I swear - No leading in MANY MANY MANY shots. No BS... :huh: Is your gun (barrel) brand new?

No it's not new. I tried the Laser Cast 200grn LSWC and I also experienced leading with that bullet. I still have about 800 of those. I've loaded that bullet with Clays, Universal Clays and Unique. All with the same results. The barrel is not worn by any means and why would that matter? Excuse my ignorance if that's a stupid question.

I used to shoot Precision Bullets 200grn SWC. I used to put either 6.2 grains of WSF or 4.2 of Bullseye under them. Only one word to describe it...

Schweet!

Damn, now I want to go sniff burning Bullseye...Dirty, but smells so yummy.

Liota

Per Precision\\\'s website, you can run their bullets to 2000 fps without leading.

I\\\'m looking at a load for my open gun running around 1350 fps. Is the coated bullet a bad idea? Due to leading or something else?

Thanks.

It gums up the comp. To much trouble.

+1 on Merlin--I talked to Precision and Precision said \\\"Do not run their bullets in an open gun\\\" for the exact reason Merlin said.

I got Berry\\\'s coated bullets in 40S&W 200gn and run a VERY fast powder for a major load. The gun shoots very soft and I find the bullets to be fairly accurate. However, I also received a sample from Precision of 9MM and made the following observation.. Precision\\\'s coating is cleaner to handle. My hands were black just from picking up Berry\\\'s to load the round. If my hands are black, the barrel can not be any cleaner.

I am going to switch Precision for 40 and 9. You can\\\'t beat the price---at least in my research.

Forgot--I get no smoke with the Berry bullet--I have not loaded the Precision yet.

Edited by FULLRACE

I got the same thing with my Kimber's barrel. Used a copper "Chore Boy" and Kroil to get the lead out. It was in just a couple grooves, but pretty bad. Must have a couple rough spots in my barrel. That gun is 10 years old and I've shot lots of rounds down it. Mostly plated bullets, but I had switched to jacked for better accurary and decided to try Precision for the price. Wish they would have worked! I went back to jacketed for this gun. I'm trying out the Precisions again in my Glock 22 with a KKM barrel right now. They work better there and just leaves a little residue of the coating that will scrub out with a brush.