Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 Super Rimless Brass

Colvis

Rimless means the rim diameter is no larger than the case diameter.

Normal Super cases are "semi-rimmed" where the rim diameter is larger than the case body, but not as large, propotionally, as the rim diameter on a rimmed case compared to the case body diameter, such as a 38 Special.

The rimless is seen as an advantage in autoloading guns since the is no possibility of hte rims (or semi-rims) getting stacked up the wrong way and causing a problem.

Guy

So do you need to adjust your extracter like you do to shoot Super Comp. Or since it's "Rimless" but not "Super Comp" you don't have to tune the extractor?

What do most .38 super Open shooters uses (not counting super comp) rimless or just normal??

The Super Comp is a rimless cartridge. The extractor for 38 super comp and rimless is the same.

Thanks Dale! Super Comp IS Rimless...

That's what I was trying to figure out.

Colvis, Rimless, Super Comp and TJ all pretty much have the same rim. There are some guns out there that can run just fine with both. Try it with the rimless and see if it works.

If your gun leaves the rimless in the chamber that means it doesnt. :)

blackdragon, sorry to disagree but.....+- what?

My experience is that the groove above the rim on AP brass is slightly different than supercomp. The front shoulder appears to be slightly farther back and hits the nose of an un modified EGW or Brown extractor which leaves a gouge in the brass. If left unmodified, I find that extractors fatigue and fail early do to working from this interference. There are also slight differences in rim thickness and primer pocket dimensions that cause the APs to intermittently hang up in my 550B while priming. The cost difference between AP and starline supercomp is negligable so I use starline exclusively.

I have noticed that Starline Supercomp has been slowly turning into more of a TJ-like case-- the extractor cut has enlarged and moved forward over the years, so it may depend on what vintage you're comparing to.

Now if only we could get Lapua to shape up.

I have noticed that Starline Supercomp has been slowly turning into more of a TJ-like case-- the extractor cut has enlarged and moved forward over the years, so it may depend on what vintage you're comparing to.

Now if only we could get Lapua to shape up.

How is the pricing and availability on Lapua? Since all of our open guns are optimized for starline, I stick with it but I hate to be single sourced.