Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Malfunction

hf219

The spent casings occasionally get wedged length wise in the ejection port. Not out the side or sticking out the top like a stove pipe. It is laying down on top of the next round picked up by the breach face. Its too low to swipe away, like a stove pipe. I tried treating it like a double feed and clear it accordinly(drop magazine and work the slide 3 times). This is alot of time to spend on this ridiculous malfunction. Needlessly dropping a mag depending on where im at on a stage (maybe its my last mag). Maybe someone out there has had a similair problem and knows what a correction might be. It could be the gun or a part thereof. It could be also that maybe i limp wristed the gun for that shot. To tell the truth im not really sure. It has seemed to happen towards the end of a stage or course of fire. ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED. Thanx

:huh:

Well, if the gun has a lot of rounds through it... I'd say try replacing the recoil spring, and extractor spring.

Possibly look at the spring loaded bearing and see if it's smashed and maybe binding in the spring coils.

Not the great expert, but if the empty is not kicking out, look at the extractor, the ejector, and/or something fighting extraction (really dirty/gummy chamber, mag too tall w/ bent lips, etc). Sometimes a combination that is not obvious. Doubt you can limp wrist that much.

I assume no optics to get a wierd kick back of brass trying to eject.

I interpret that the empty brass is just lying on top of the next round (not behind the extractor) and that the slide has had full rearward travel (at least the breach face is behind the next round, trying to strip it out of the magazine). Also assuming a pretty stock gun. If you made a recent change, see if it can in any way be involved.

Another thought is an almost squib load. Not very likely if this does not occur randomly through stages.

If it happens in practice, examine everything in detail before clearing the jam. If you can pull the slide back a little, rotate the gun to let the empty fall out the ejection part, and release the slide and chamber the next round, I think you may have a faster jam clearing routine. Not your goal, obviously. Then carefully examine the piece of empty brass to see if you can look at the dings and scrapes to determine where/what it hit in this jam. Look at the gun to see if brass marks provide a clue.

Good luck. Sometimes it's the first thing you look at, and sometimes it seems longer than a bad mystery novel.

Are you using factory ammo? If not then you are probably trying to use to low of a PF in the gun. If you want to keep that ammo then look to a spring change. If you are using factory ammo then look to limp wristing first, then look to the extractor for carbon build up, or maybe even a chipped extractor.

Matt

hf219,

There are likely several possibilities on your malfunction and if anybody says they can fix your problem over the Net without seeing the pistol and watching you shoot it, then they're kidding themselves and you.

With that disclaimer in mind, is this gun by chance a G-19? If so, you may be suffering from what a very well known defensive trainer calls the NYPD Phase 3 malf, which has never been completely remedied, but involved some modification machining to the slide.

Next, how good are your MAGAZINE springs? The magazine's "stack" of rounds contributes quite a bit to empty case ejection. If you don't believe it, go out and shoot your Glock with just a loaded chamber and no magazine in place. Most of the cases will eject and come out the BOTTOM of the magazine well. Good magazine springs will alleviate some ejection faults. I would make sure that you have a good extractor depressor plunger spring, the proper spring loaded bearing and that those parts are properly assembled and properly inserted into the weapon (steel end against the extractor and polymer end against the slide cover plate).

The extractor and ejector should be the proper parts and the extractor should have its hook area clean and intact with no chips, dings, etc. The channel that the extractor rides in should be clean and dry. Make sure the ejector has not been "tweaked" by the local gun butcher. Lots of folks will bend the 9mm ones straight even though they are supposed to have a bend and lots of folks will "polish" (AKA: GRIND) the ejector tip down to the point it doesn't effectively pinion the empty cases out of the ejection port. Did you have an extra power recoil spring installed? That can cause problems, especially if your ammo is a little underpowered, especially some lots of WWB and UMC.

After all of this hardware is correct, I would next want to watch you shoot the gun. Are you providing a solid resistive platform for the weapon's recoil spring to work against or are you letting your index and grip go weak when firing occurs? Are you gripping the gun firmly or loosely (which allows lots of gun movement and bleeds off the energy the recoil spring is trying to store)? Are you impeding the slide's function velocity with your hands/fingers/grip?

All of this and likely more can and should be considered in the problem solving process. Feel free to email me if you want to discuss this more. Best of luck to you!

Wayne Dobbs

Edited by Wayne Dobbs

Sorry for the delay in info required. The gun is a G35/ 15lb guide rod spring uncaptured/ T.H.E. tungsten guide rod extended/ RS Trigger kit / factory plus 2 mag extensions with wolf +10% mag springs/ no frame or slide mods/ reloaded ammo which just chrono'ed at 977 fps, 171 pf, 180gr bullet/ lightning strike steel striker/

I just shot the Area 8 match and did not have a single glitch with the brass laying in the ejection port. It could have been a soft batch of reloads. the gun functioned fine until stage #2 when the return spring broke. this gun and the above listed mods have no more than 3000 rounds through it. little disappointed in Ralphs set up with the trigger,have had a few problems with the gun doubling for a short period, and now the reset spring broke. Well i guess Ralph S. can expect a phone call. Maybe he can explain it. Thanks for everyones input. Harry

:)

I just recently had the same problem. I changed the recoil spring (I'm running a 15lb uncaptured) and it solved the problem. When I compared the new spring to my old one, the old one was a good 1/2 shorter from being worn out.

hf219,

With that disclaimer in mind, is this gun by chance a G-19? If so, you may be suffering from what a very well known defensive trainer calls the NYPD Phase 3 malf, which has never been completely remedied, but involved some modification machining to the slide.

Wayne Dobbs

I would say the NYC police were more the malfunction than the G-19! You have to wonder if it could be shooter error IF they name a malfunction after your dept! Do the Iraqi police suffer from the NYPD malfunction? Or will they have there own malfunction named after them! No disrespect, but this is just a thought that makes you question, what really is the cause!

Dirty,

The Iraqi Police suffer from more malfunctions of more types than your mind can conceive! But that's another subject. I tried to locate Pat Rogers' thread on another forum w/o success, but the malfunction described was one the NYPD was having with the G-19. I've seen it happen on one of the two G-19s I own personally at home and on several guns here, but not with enough predictability to where you can reliably troubleshoot it.

The malf has a fresh round's rim partially under the extractor and on the way into the chamber with the previously fired round's case ALSO partially in the extractor and that fired case mouth against the back of the barrel hood. A tap/rack does NOT ever clear it...you must remove the fired case by plucking it out with your fingers. Glock dispatched a tech to NYC to make some type of modification to the breechface of the problem guns that reportedly alleviated the problem. Changing extractors/ejectors doesn't stop the problem on the guns either.

I am a huge Glock fan and have been using them as service guns and competition guns since 1989 and have been an armorer and advanced armorer since 1990. I see 15-30,000 rounds a week from Glock 19s week in and week out here in the Cesspool. I think they're the best service pistol on the planet, but like all things mechanical made by the hands of man, some of them present problems.