Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Starting with mag in hand for...

Trey

I saw a stage diagram where string two required to draw and fire (8 shots) strong hand, then mandatory reload then 8 more shots with weak hand.

I looked in rule book (uspsa) and couldn't find anything about starting with a mag in your weak hand to "prep" for the mand. reload.  Is this legal to do per uspsa rules?

Thanks!

Trey

Shooting in Vegas this weekend? Its legal and great gaming. Good job. There could be a question if you can start with it "in" your hand but you can definitly draw it after beep. The trick is to not get flustered since its something you do not regulary do and destroy any advantage in doing it. Good luck.

(Edited by BSeevers at 6:02 pm on Oct. 15, 2002)

Yes you cannot start with a gun, reloading device or ammo 8.2.3 So that nixes starting with the mag in your hand.

I'll be trying it this weekend. :) If they will let me I will be drawing the mag with the gun. This is only an issue with a strong hand then reload course.

I'll be in Vegas, be leaving here in a few hours (Orlando. FL).  I don't have my rule book right in front of me but I believe that that stage is not a legal USPSA satge.  You can't go from strong hand only to weak hand...makes sense if your shooting strong hand only because your weak hand was disabled.  You can go free style to strong hand or free style to weak hand, but not strong to weak.

PAul

I forgot about that rule. Is it still one? I too am getting on the plane in a few minutes. If it still is, then that is an illegal stage. I knew it was a strange stage and I have not seen anything like it in all my years of big matches

Not only may you not hold your mag at the start, you may not touch it or your gun or other equipment.

The prohibition against a course going strong to weak only or whatever was for field courses. Standards have no such limitations.

Hi guys,

No, you cannot start with a mag in your hand prior to the start signal but, after the beep, you can draw your gun and a mag at the same time.

Eric: See the last sentence of Rule 1.1.5 and you will see there is no exception for Standard Exercises.

In other words, you cannot go from strong hand to weak hand, or vice versa, even in Standards - note the words "stage or string".

Yeah, you stick with the specified hand for the rest of the string. But for subsequent strings the course may end up using a different hand.

One more thing on the mags... they need to start on your belt, you can't place them on a table, in a drawer with your gun, etc. unless specified by the course. We've had these issues come up in recent local matches.