Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Competition Spring Kits

Steelshooter3

I have seen at least 3 different competition/reduced spring kits mentioned on the forum: Wolff, Jerry Miculek, & Vic Pickett. It's possible, there are others out there.

What do you use & why? What was it about this set over another that convinced you to use this set? Advantages/Disadvantages?

I tried the Wolf kit a few times over the years and had faulure to fire even with Federal Primers. I've not tried Jerry's kit but since Vic lives here I've used his.

After putting the spring in my first gun and being able to get six pounds reliably I bought enough kits for all my Smiths. They work every time.

You will think that there is no way the gun will fire as light as that trigger pulls but it definately will. Once you have it set lock tight it in place.

I tried the Wolf kit a few times over the years and had faulure to fire even with Federal Primers. I've not tried Jerry's kit but since Vic lives here I've used his.

After putting the spring in my first gun and being able to get six pounds reliably I bought enough kits for all my Smiths. They work every time.

You will think that there is no way the gun will fire as light as that trigger pulls but it definately will. Once you have it set lock tight it in place.

The Miculek and Wolf springs can also do a job on the strain screw, wearing it, and requiring replacement

Or you can simply bend the stock mainspring to the correct tension, loctite the strain screw, and be done with it.

Gosh, Mike, you've got a bending attachment for the Dremel? ;)

I've got a half-dozen or so new factory mainsprings. How and where does one bend them?

I've put the Miculek kit in two guns and have been happy, but curious about the wolf pack because it comes with 3 different weight rebound springs.

Wondering what advantages can be gained, or how feel is changed by varying just the rebound springs.

Or you can simply bend the stock mainspring to the correct tension, loctite the strain screw, and be done with it.

Gosh, Mike, you've got a bending attachment for the Dremel? ;)

I've got a half-dozen or so new factory mainsprings. How and where does one bend them?

This is one of those rare non-Dremel projects, Chuck! :)

I bend them approximately in the middle. I used to bend them with pliers, but now I usually just bare-hand them against the workbench. Pretty easy--and if you go a little far, no biggie, you just bend it back.

[i bend them approximately in the middle. I used to bend them with pliers, but now I usually just bare-hand them against the workbench. Pretty easy--and if you go a little far, no biggie, you just bend it back.

So how do you know when you get to the right tension?

[i bend them approximately in the middle. I used to bend them with pliers, but now I usually just bare-hand them against the workbench. Pretty easy--and if you go a little far, no biggie, you just bend it back.

"Bang" instead of "click" :)

"Bang" instead of "click" :)

Well Duh! :wacko: