Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How Do You Push The Follower

I've got a question, how do you clean your mag in the middle of a shooting day... let's say, lunch break :)

Had a dirty mag, and attempted to clean it with a rug, but i could clearly see that the rug isn't really effective. I was shown by a fellow shooter to push with your pinkie finger the follower and stick a metal rod through the hole in which is found in the middle of the mag to hold the follower. Then brush and wipe away. :D

Here's my prob, i got fat fingers, and can't push the follower, so i ended up using a popsicle stick(so it woudn't scratch the follower), but it got stuck... the stick got jamed with the follower. ended up dismantling the magazine to clear the jam. I can't be bringing all these tools to dismantle my mags in the middle of a shoot. Any suggestions??

Maybe an alternative way of cleaning or do you guys use a bigger popsicle stick? :P

Edited by sandman_sy

I've got a question, how do you clean your mag in the middle of a shooting day... let's say, lunch break :)

Had a dirty mag, and attempted to clean it with a rug, but i could clearly see that the rug isn't really effective. I was shown by a fellow shooter to push with your pinkie finger the follower and stick a metal rod through the hole in which is found in the middle of the mag to hold the follower. Then brush and wipe away. :D

Here's my prob, i got fat fingers, and can't push the follower, so i ended up using a popsicle stick(so it woudn't scratch the follower), but it got stuck...

Best tool on earth to depress a 1911 single stack follower is a regular size Sharpie pen. It fits perfect and you can push the follower straight down as far as you want no problem.

Then insert the small screwdriver cross ways through the witness holes to trap the spring near the top of the spring.

I use the eraser end of a regular pencil and put anything handy (like an allen wrench) through the holes. That shouldn't take up much room in your bag, but I usually just have a couple spare mags handy.

I use wilsons on my single stack and I use an old firing pin to depress the detent in the pad and slide it off. Remove the pad /spring/follower out the rear end of the mag. Knock or blow and debris out, swab with a silicone gun rag, wipe spring down and reassemble.

Open I have the brush illustrated above and dawson basepads. I can break it down and brush it out and have it back in operatin in less than a minute.

Steven

Edited by standles