Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shooting On The Super Squad...

Ron Ankeny

I just returned from the Cheyenne shootout where I met some of the nicest people in the shooting sports. Even though I had an open blaster, I got to shoot on the Limited/Production super squad. Man did I learn a lot.

I was the first shooter on the first stage and I sucked so badly the whole squad saw fit to offer up two days of coaching free of charge. Dave Sevigny showed me a technique that I could use to get into and out of a kneeling position that would allow me to pivot to the left while getting up. I jokingly asked if he was going to send me a bill and he just smiled. I hope that meant "no". Speaking of Dave Sevigny, at one point I was setting some steel when a voice from behind me said, "Save your knees Ron, let me get that." I looked over my shoulder and there stood Dave. Glock has a public relations gold mine in that young man. He is just an incredibly nice person by nature.

Everyone on the "super" squad was just super and I'll cherish the experience for many years to come. I would like to thank everyone for sharing there expertise and knowledge. I would especially like to thank Dennis Bauer (not a big name shooter, but he is a wealth of knowledge) for helping me to break down stages and for offering me moral support.

If any of you ever have the chance to shoot on a super squad, sieze the opportunity. Don't be concerned about your performance and there is no need to be self consious. At LAMR you are just a fellow shooter and squad mate.

PS

I didn't get to watch Henning Wallgren shoot, but I worked with him for a few hours during set up. Talk about a really good guy... :D

Yah,

I shot with Dave, Voigt, Springer, Anderson et. al. at Area 1. Lots of fun, and really nice guys that help out. Maybe I shouldnt try to shoot like them when squadded.. :lol:

I shot w/ Dave, Manny, and Henning at the DoubleTap this year (plus Steve Speer, Mark Tapp, Dave Long, and Robert Porter (when he wasn't playing MD)). Everyone on the squad was great to shoot with - and it was cool to be on a squad with some "big boys", and observe some things about how they approach their stages. Everyone was open about sharing strategy, and was supportive of each other's shooting, as well.

All three of the GM-types showed a lot of character through the course of the match, and impressed me with their candor, helpfulness, and humor. ;) Good guys, good times. Look forward to shooting with them again as soon as I can (if they'll have me back.... heh heh... :D ).

Your right Ron, I shoot with Dave alot at our local matches, Ga state and Area 6. He's always ready to help out with ROing, reseting the targets, advice, questions, a pat on the back for a good run and just about anything he can do for the sport. Dave Sevigny is a real class act.

Ronnie

One thing I've noticed is the top guys are pretty much always positive and upbeat, even if they're tanking the match. They'll be the ones telling the C-shooter "hey, you shot that pretty good.." That attitude rocks.