Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig P226 Slide Release

1911user

I shoot right handed with a high grip. It works great on the 1911 45. It's giving me fits on a sig p226 with the slide release being held down. I'm thinking about using this in production next year, but the slide release location is a concern. I was mentally debating the merits of removing the exterior part of the slide release, but just realized that wouldn't be allowed for production. Suggestions? Is there a grip that works with a 226 and a 1911?

Is the problem that you are holding the release down and the slide is not locking back? OR is there a problem where the release is messing with your grip?

If you are holding down the button and not allowing the slide to lock back, then I am afraid the only answer is practice. I now never keep the 226 slide from locking (I used to).

My P239 however, whenever I do not shoot it for any duration, I end up holding it down. Practice, practice, practice

The problem is holding the slide release down when the mag follower tries to push it up. I'm used to having my thumb over a wide 1911 safety and that's a bad spot on a sig. Yesterday was the first time I'd fired it seriously. Any grip that keeps my thumb away from the slide release feels contorted. More practice is needed to find something that works. It feels great with just one hand, but 2 is going to take some work (or a different pistol).

I'd have an XD but springfield won't sell parts and I'm not paying $40 to ship it back so they can replace a $1 part anytime there is a problem.

Edited by 1911user

had the same problem with mine years ago, my thumb high grip was holding the slide stop down, solved it by switching to a smith 5906.

new grips for it won't solve the problem, because they are all made to work with the slide stop. your best bet would be to switch from a thumb high grip to having your right thumb tucked under your left.

1911user,

This is a common problem with the a lot of shooters. The only real cure is to switch your grip slightly. Maintain the same grip you've always used, just ease your strong hand thumb out to the side just enough so you don't touch the slide stop. If you think about how wide the standard Sig slide stop is, you don't have to move very much. A couple of days of dryfire should solve your problem.

Don't give up on the Sig. It's a very good production gun, but like all pistols, it does have it's quirks.

Erik

I had the same problem with my P228 -- the slide stop lever is just in the wrong place for a high grip with thumbs forward. Rather than try to change how I hold the gun, I just got rid of the Sig. Frankly, I didn't find it to be that great a shooter anyway - so it didn't break my heart.

I think you run into a danger if you start modifying your grip based on what pistol you're shooting. I want my grip to be universal...I'll make other adjustments for aim, recoil, muzzle flip, etc.

Just my $0.02...

Jim

I tried a different thumb position last night and think it may work for the 226. Instead of my right thumb going straight forward (like over a 1911 safety), I put the right thumb pad on the outside of the left thumb at the second joint. That should keep the slide release free to move and give a definite place for my right thumb to rest. It's not a big change from my normal grip and should work well for sigs, glocks, and others with similar slide release positions.

I agree with Bear1142

I shoot both a sig and 1911 regularly. used to have this problem when shooting my 226. I had to change the way I held both guns in order to not push down on the slide release.

The way I solved this is to make my grip more neutral. (ala our host's book) I found that the pressure I was putting down on the 1911 thumb safety was unneeded. The safety stays down once you've "snicked" it off. I found that my right thumb was probably putting pressure on my grip in an area where it was unneeded. Once I was able to grip the 1911 with my thumb just "sitting there", I found that it no longer depressed the slide release on the 226. (it takes some real pressure to push it down anyway)

Your mileage may vary, but if you're going to shoot both of these gun regularly, you owe it to yourself to develop a consistant grip that works with both sets of controls.

Once you find your happy place, just practice, practice, practice!

Good luck!

Nate

I'd just leave it. Just don't shoot more than 10 rounds before reloading and you won't have a problem. My Limited gun doesn't lock back when empty either (Dawson followers are meant not too). On my SIG 220ST I've shortened the slide stop to about 1/3 of it's orginal size. I sometimes shoot this gun in IDPA (CDP division).

I had this problem too. I had a nice XD for Production but didn't like the low thumb grip required with the XDs (or Glocks, SIGs, ect.). This was a big factor in why I sold all my XDs and went with a CZ for Production and 1911s for L-10. I really like riding the thumb safety and I shoot better with that grip. The CZ-75/-85 has a thumsafety that allows the 1911 type grip. I still have a P228 for occasional carry. It's the only thing I still have to shoot with a low thumb.