Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

"valhalla"

SinistralRifleman

I built this rifle mostly from parts I won at matches in the past year...

Features:

18" Chrome Lined Sabre Defence Fluted SPR barrel with mid-length gas system

Viking Tactics/JP Free Float Tube

JP Short Range Tactical Sight

CAV-15 Lower Serial Number "Valhalla"

Prototype SPR CQT Reticle

valhalla-1.jpg

valhalla-2.jpg

valhalla-3.jpg

valhalla-4.jpg

Question...

Are AR's tough to put together like a 1911? Or can you pretty much buy parts and "slap" it together? But, have it still be accurate?

Cant exactly slap them together, but with decent shop skills most folks can do a creditable job. As with most things the devil is in the details but overall not near as tough as a pistol.-----Larry

Well I went and shot it today and sighted in the CQT. The BDC seems to work perfect with this barrel length. I was ringing the plates easily out to 300 yards.

The short range tactical sight sits too low for me to use comfortably or easily

Question...

Are AR's tough to put together like a 1911? Or can you pretty much buy parts and "slap" it together? But, have it still be accurate?

I would discourage inexperienced persons from trying to build their own ARs...they are relatively simple if you know what you're doing and have the correct tools. I've been working on ARs professionally for 5 years now.

The vast majority of customer service issues I handle are a result of people not knowing what they are doing, and trying to play gunsmith or armorer themselves.

If you take the time to get educated through reading, and videos, are generally mechanically inclined, and have the right tools...you might give it a try.

Spiffy!

Now put the F2 (that I gave you last year) on it and your journey to the dark side wil be complete...heh heh...

That thing is way too loud man...the guys already complain about my relatively mild CAV Comp when we're training, I don't want to make their ear drums bleed. :ph34r:

334.jpg

LOL...loud, yes, but when you can ripple fire four rounds on a standard ram target at 200 yards and hear "bang bang bang bang tink tink tink tink"...that is a Good Thing...

If you still have eardrums left :P

Yeah, those stubby little JP sight rails are too low for normal humans. Too short for a decent sight radius, too.

Sell that JP to some other sucker and try one of Jim Poor's new toys (height matched to a standard A2 upper ;) ):

http://www.flatlandforge.com/Shortrangetactical.htm

Site.jpg

A

The short range tactical sight sits too low for me to use comfortably or easily

It sits too low for me too. I used the YHM 1/2" risers that JP also sells and that worked well for me.

Very nice looking rifle by the way...

Edited by norbs007

Yeah, those stubby little JP sight rails are too low for normal humans. Too short for a decent sight radius, too.

Sell that JP to some other sucker and try one of Jim Poor's new toys (height matched to a standard A2 upper ;) ):

Site.jpg

A

Wakal,

How much are these sights. I find the JP sight WAY TOO low.

How you like that Cav-arms lower, im wanting an AR, and i like the way that looks.

alex, How bad would the F2 comp be on a 16 inch carbine shooting M193 ammo? pretty nasty? or not that bad?

Harmon

Harmon,

I've shot that load out of my 16" Open gun. No problem at all. I've also shot it out of my 7" AR; that is a bit obnoxious but sits nice and flat. Also useful for making the shooters on either side of you on the rifle range...run away...

:)

The F2 isn't quite as bad as the JP Tank Brake, noise-wise.

CavArms lowers are pretty darn slick, unless you have stubby BennyArms ;)

Alex

Looks like the cav arms is gonna be what ill get, when i get time to build an AR.

I really like around a 14.5 inch LOP for a stock...but im kinda tall.

Stumpy arms arent one of my attributes.

How you like that Cav-arms lower, im wanting an AR, and i like the way that looks.

Well I have quite a few CAV-15 MKII receivers, but you should know I make them for a living. They hold up as well as an aluminum lower, and they are significantly lighter. They have a lifetime warranty if they break in the course of normal use, and if you break it through misuse or neglect, it's only $30.00 to replace.

I assume you do a lot of shooting...the plastic lower is nice for another reason that it doesn't scratch or wear easily. The color it is, is the color throughout, so they won't end up looking as used as an metal gun. Carbon cleans off the plastic easy with windex

I only own one aluminum receiver with a tele-stock for use with body armor.

Looks like the cav arms is gonna be what ill get, when i get time to build an AR.

I really like around a 14.5 inch LOP for a stock...but im kinda tall.

Stumpy arms arent one of my attributes.

The CAV-15 MKII is a 13" LOP. I reccomend the DPMS SPR buttplate for adding length to it.

Edited by SinistralRifleman