Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How To Paint An Sti Grip

Azone41

Want to know if anybody has painted a STI grip. What type of paint ,what type of prep before painting and how to apply. I was thinking of using model airplane paint with a primer and applying it with an airbrush. My wife wants a PINK grip.

SHOW PICTURES OF YOUR WORK

hehe, i'm interested in this thread,

what i'm afraid is that the paint would chip off once used. especially with the sweat and stuff the grip encouters weekly :) So hope, some proffesionals can teach us how :lol:

Edited by sandman_sy

I have one that was done with auto paint. It works and the paint sticks but is a little slicker than the pro ones. The pros I talked to way back when didn't want to reveal their paint secrets.

Go to an automotive paint supply store and get some info from them. They most likely will suggest an automotive paint with an epoxy additive that gets used on flexible/plastic body panels. You can then use any method of application including airbrushing.

Auto finished are tough and resist just about any chemical you put on them however the smallest quanity you can get is a pint or quart. They won't have colors ready to spray, they will have to mix the color you want and you'll have to choose form a color chart. A quart of single stage paint, plus catalist will run about $100.00+. That can get pricey if you want multiple colors. Makes you appreciate the guys who'll paint your grip for $50.00, doesn't it?

The last time I bough car paint about 3 years ago I got 1 gallon of single stage PPG and catalist and it was just over $400.00 in CA.

The best way to custom paint grips is to use the small cans of One-Shot pin stripe paint which run about $15+/- . It comes in a rainbow of colors ready to brush or spray and doesn't require a catalist. You can clear coat it with something like Brownells Aluma-Hyde Clear or some other spray can alternative. Test to make sure it doesn't attack the One-Shot.

The best would be to paint it with One-shot and then take the grip to a local auto body shop and ask them to shoot some clear on it when they are painting a car. If your nice they may not even charge you.

The best prep is to lightly bead blast to rough the surface a bit, clean with paint thinner or Grease and Wax Remover (car painting prep solvent). If the grip has been textured or has the factory checkering the paint should stick as long as its clean. One-shot has a primer but any spray can primer would work and will make coving a black grip easier. If you going for bright colors then white or tan primer is best.

Model paints could work but use the type for RC planes which resist gas. I'd still clear coat with auto paint for the longest lasting results but if your having fun painting them use model paint and if/when it wears off just paint it again.

Good Luck.

Edited by TMC

Auto finished are tough and resist just about any chemical you put on them however the smallest quanity you can get is a pint or quart. They won't have colors ready to spray, they will have to mix the color you want and you'll have to choose form a color chart. A quart of single stage paint, plus catalist will run about $100.00+. That can get pricey if you want multiple colors. Makes you appreciate the guys who'll paint your grip for $50.00, doesn't it?

The last time I bough car paint about 3 years ago I got 1 gallon of single stage PPG and catalist and it was just over $400.00 in CA.

The best way to custom paint grips is to use the small cans of One-Shot pin stripe paint which run about $15+/- . It comes in a rainbow of colors ready to brush or spray and doesn't require a catalist. You can clear coat it with something like Brownells Aluma-Hyde Clear or some other spray can alternative. Test to make sure it doesn't attack the One-Shot.

The best would be to paint it with One-shot and then take the grip to a local auto body shop and ask them to shoot some clear on it when they are painting a car. If your nice they may not even charge you.

The best prep is to lightly bead blast to rough the surface a bit, clean with paint thinner or Grease and Wax Remover (car painting prep solvent). If the grip has been textured or has the factory checkering the paint should stick as long as its clean. One-shot has a primer but any spray can primer would work and will make coving a black grip easier. If you going for bright colors then white or tan primer is best.

Model paints could work but use the type for RC planes which resist gas. I'd still clear coat with auto paint for the longest lasting results but if your having fun painting them use model paint and if/when it wears off just paint it again.

Good Luck.

:D:D:DB)B);)

Great post!!! Thank you.

One little trick of the trades, (from boat designing and building) is to ad some fine "non skid" particles into the clear coat, either by hand blowing it into the surface or mixing it with the paint. It will give you some "gription" to taste and cancel that slickiness enough.