Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Newbie Questions On Platform Choice

AFDavis11

I'm interested in checking out IDPA. I normally compete with a Revolver in USPSA but that seems to be headed down the tubes. I have a Model 66, 625, and even a single stack 1911 which none of which are any good anymore for USPSA so I'm looking for IDPA suggestions. I understand though that I need some funky "approved" equipment for revolver shooting. What would that be? Moonclip/Speedloader holders for revolver of a specific brand? Or can I carry in a pocket?

I can use a 1911 too, maybe that would be easier.

Ideas?

Two things. Check out the rules on IDPA's website regarding the revolvers. The only thing that I know is that there is a barrel length restriction (why I don't know) on revos.

As for your 1911, know that it's home in IDPA is Custom Defensive Pistol and you'll be going up against some tricked out blasters. It's a nice class to shoot in as you can use the pistol for it and USPSA's Singlestack Division too. Same holster and mag pouches. Two games, one set of gear, including pistol. Gotta love it!

Don't give up on USPSA/IPSC so fast. There's a home for every pistol.

Rich

I have a Model 66, 625, and even a single stack 1911 which none of which are any good anymore for USPSA so I'm looking for IDPA suggestions. I understand though that I need some funky "approved" equipment for revolver shooting. What would that be? Moonclip/Speedloader holders for revolver of a specific brand? Or can I carry in a pocket?

I can use a 1911 too, maybe that would be easier.

Ideas?

Wow, "...none of which are any good anymore for USPSA..."

Are they broken?

If the revolver rules discussion and the usual hem and haw of USPSA manuvering has got you upset, don't go there. They do that this on a regular basis.

(Really, it's only the Open Shooters, they're afraid of getting their butts kicked by 6-shooters)

As to the IDPA specifics, check out their website, IDPA.com, and download the pdf for specific equipment rules.

I have a Model 66, 625, and even a single stack 1911 which none of which are any good anymore for USPSA.

Ideas?

Package up the 625 and the 1911 and send them to me. I'll see if I can get them

to work in USPSA. I'll even pay the shipping and whatever the FFL's charge

on both ends. You say they are not "any good anymore", which inplies that at

some point they were OK? What changed? A 1911 should be competitive in L10

and the new Provisional 1911 division. A 625 is the gun of choice for most round

gun shooters.

+1 to what everyone else has said here already.

If it is a 1911 in .45 ACP (the rule book specifically says ACP), then that gun will fit in the Custom Defensive Pistol (CDP) division, 165 PF. If your 1911 is in some other caliber like 10 mm, 9mm, .40 S & W, or .38 Super and it's strictly a single action gun then it will fall into the Enhanced Service Pistol Division (ESP), 125 PF.

You can be competitive with all three guns in IDPA. I am not all up on the rules related to revolver shooters, especially as to speedloader carriers and moonclip holders as I should be.

At last years Nationals, there were 200 + + competitors. I couldn't tell you how many were shooting some 1911 platform. Not to plug Glock, but 91 shooters were using 'em. Not that I'm suggesting you go over to the Dark Side....LOL You will do just fine with what you have already. I do not own a Glock!

In fact, if your 1911 is in .45 and so is your 625, you might just want to stick to those two guns, especially if you reload or you're thinking about getting into reloading. Granted, the cost per component per round will be higher in the .45 ACP versus 9 or 40, but you might catch a larger break by buying in larger bulk numbers in the .45 to feed two guns.

Thanx, yes the 1911 is a .45 and ofcourse the 625 is also. I'll keep the guns for IDPA and maybe Singlestack. Just anticipating the likely rules changes in the future. No sense waiting till the last minute. Seems if not enough shooters show up there is a sudden impetus to eliminate entire Divisions. Waffling isn't in my nature.

The holster rules are pretty much generic across the divisions. Revolver barrel length is 4" (as sold by manufacturer; S&Ws have 4.125" barrels, but are sold as 4") or shorter. Speedloader holders must encircle the speedloader; I use the Blade-Techs since they're what I use for carry, but the ones at http://www.pistolpacking.com have an excellent reputation, and are cheaper. I can't help on moonclip carriers.

As others have said, get the rulebook. It's downloadable as a .pdf from http://www.idpa.com.

The altered revolver divisions have pretty much killed the revolver in IDPA. Bill got some bad advice. Should have left it like it was. Maybe one exception - I would have started out with a 4" max barrel length.

Your .45 1911 will work fine in two IDPA divisions, ESP and CDP.

A little thread drift...

While I was, and still am, one of the loudest voices against splitting IDPA revolver into two divisions, even I have to admit that it didn't "kill" revolver in IDPA.

If you look at some matches before and after the split, only last year's Naionals had a real drop off in the number of revolver shooters (2004-48, 2005-31, a 35% decrease). Other major matches have increased, including the Carolina Cup (2004-9, 2005-13, 2006-13, a 44% increase) and the S&W Winter Championship (2004-27, 2005-34, 2006-37, a 37% increase). Others like the Texas Regional (2004-8, 2005-5, 2006-8)and Illinois State (2004-13, 2005-7, 2006-11) went down in 2005 but came back up in 2006.

I don't agree with the way the changes were made to IDPA revolver, but it definitely hasn't killed it.

Jerry