Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

230 Gr Zero Jhp Oal Recommendations Needed

XD Niner

I am just now entering the wonderful (?) world of reloading. I am in search of a combination that will give me about a 170 PF since I want a little contingency for the chrono. I will be using my 5" Springer Black Stainless 1911 auto in the L-10 Division.

I have bought a pile of Zero 230 gr JHP bullets. I will be using 4.0 gr of Clays based on the info in this forum along with Winchester large pistol primers. I have a mixed bag of brass with most of it WWB or CCI Blazer.

I've checked both my Lymans and Sierra reloading manuals for the correct OAL. Unfortunately, they don't seem to agree. The Lyman manual lists an OAL of 1.243-inches while the Sierra cites one of 1.210 for 230 gr JHPs. :blink:

For those of you using 230 gr JHPs, what OAL are you using?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Edited by XD Niner

Set your OAL and crimp using a round of factory ball. Feeding problems won't happen if the gun is close to being set up right. Load a couple dummy rounds, measure the OAL that you have and adjust powder settings accordingly. If the OAL is short of the data reduce the charge and if it is long increase. Start with 3.6ish and work up from there with a chronograph. 4.0 should be close, but there isn't a good reason to start with a listed max charge. Start slow, walk then run. Above all be safe and ask questions if you aren't sure of something. Good luck!!

I load Zero 230 FMJ to 1.255 OAL with 4.0 gr of Clays. Came in at 172 PF out of a 5" Kimber at the last area match.

1.255 is a usable OAL; I had some that were slightly over length and have some magazine issues.

FM

I have to agree that I think 1.255 is a bit long. I loaded to 1.250, and have had some feeding issues when the gun is dirty or if the recoil spring is older. With a clean gun and new recoil spring 1.250 seems to work fine.

I was using MG 230 CMJ (ball) and loading to 1.260. Those were fine. Since the profile of the Zero JHP are pretty similar except they dont have the "nose" I keep the seating die at the same point. That resulted in the 1.250 length. However after the issues I had at the last match I am thinking of going down to 1.245 or even 1.240.

As an asside, have any of you noticed markings on the feed ramp? I noticed that my feed ramp seems to have a lot of jacketing material on the feed ramp when I clean. I think with the JHP they might be "digging" into the feed ramp more. (Don't get me wrong I know the feed ramp is much harder and will not be damaged. But perhaps this might be another indication that the round is hitting the feed ramp and being forced into the chamber a little too hard??? I don't know.

Ira

I have always loaded my 230 gr loads to 1.255 for my 625 revolvers and all my single stack 45s. Have never had a problem. I am shooting Wilson Single Stacks with the Wilson 47D mags.

Jax, does this include JHP as well?

Ira