Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Opinions...

thejoe

I have a 9mm S&W Sigma that I happen to like a lot. It's my only pistol and I think it works very well. I like it so much in fact that I'd like to may it my CCW. What I want is opinions of all of you other shooters who have shot and/or own as to the feasibility of doing this. In other words, is this a good enough pistol to carry or will I be wanting something better in the near future? Thanks in advance.

the joe

I only have 4 requirements for a self defense sidearm:

- at least 9mm or 38 spl

-RELIABLE

-sights I can see day or night

-a trigger I can manage

Other then those, brand and model really don't matter all that much to me. If you are comfortable with it and will have readily available when and if you need it (I hope you never do!) Go with what you have and you can always find a reason to buy another pistol :)

if its your only pistol, then yeah, carry that one. Better to have some sort of firearm than none at all. Later you might want to upgrade to maybe a glock 17 or glock 22(if you can conceal it, some people go to the smaller glocks for more concealability).

usually gun fight scenarios include multiple advisaries. Thats why I like the glock so much, because of the mag capacity and reliablity. I think its always good to have those extra rounds, because you never know how you may react or shoot when the s**t hits the fan.

Usually they happen at night, so night sites would be important that are sighted in to a nats ass.

If using a 9mm, use good hollow points, you don't want the bullets going through the advesary and hitting an innocent person. You want the bullet to stay in the body.

But alot of problems can be avoided by the way you carry yourself. Criminals usually pick on people who look like they can't defend themselves or people who look like easy targets, to get what they want and leave. Almost like animals in the wild picking the weakest animal for food.

Reliability is the key for carry/defense.

I have a SIG P-226 for social and do so because of it's reliability rate with factory jhp ammo, 100%.

Buy as much as you can afford of what you want for a defense round and run it through the gun starting from slightly dirty and if you get even one malf in the whole batch of ammo, you might want to re-think some part of the chain.

My SIG digested 500 rounds of WW 115gr Silvertip without a hitch after running it till it was very, very dirty with some hard cast lead reloads. In this type of performance I trust, nothing less will do for me for this type of purpose.

If I could have afforded 1k of Silvertip, that's the amount of testing I would really liked to have seen, but over 2k of Blazer and mixed bag reloads running flawlessly from full mags on top of the Silvertip test made me feel pretty OK about the ammo/gun combo.

Always test your carry weapon with the ammo that you will carry it with. Make sure that it's reliability is acceptable. I personally carry a Glock 19 with Gold Dot 124+P's. They have fed flawlessly for me. Again, find a good carry ammo and test it before you rely on it!

I only have 4 requirements for a self defense sidearm:

- at least 9mm or 38 spl

-RELIABLE

-sights I can see day or night

-a trigger I can manage

Other then those, brand and model really don't matter all that much to me. If you are comfortable with it and will have readily available when and if you need it (I hope you never do!) Go with what you have and you can always find a reason to buy another pistol :)

+1

I have handled a Sigma and really liked it too. Carry what you like as long as it goes bang 100% when you pull the trigger :)

• 2 months later...

If you're comfortable with it, that's really whats key. Have you shot other pistols to compare it to yourself? I'm the worst person I know for running out and buying a pistol that I think I like and then finding something I like better right after that.

I fall in love too easy. My local gunshop loves me.

Edited by Cole