Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The New Super 1050

EricW

If you've bought a Super 1050 in the last few months, how was it to get set up and running? I'm getting to the point time-wise where I'm going to have to buy finished ammo, buy a faster press, or not shoot pistol. The problem is...that if I had the time to fix a 1050, I wouldn't need to buy one to begin with.

How's your new purchase doing?

BTW, we don't really need to delve into any of the inital teething pains of the 1050, unless you just bought one that still has them. And I'm not meaning to bag on Dillon or the 1050 in any way, but every time I reach for the checkbook, I read another "my new 1050...." thread. I'm trying to figure out whether it's just statistical bad luck or a systematic issue. I just don't have time to fix anything anymore. :wacko:

One of Murphy's laws, is that the less time you have to deal with problems, the more problems you will have.

I have a pre-super 1050. If the Super takes a little more time to debug, it's still worth it.

Just buy it. The guns got to eat.

All the big machines are like that...kind of testy to get running without any faults....then when you get them that way, you are lothe to change anything....or move it at all...had a time getting my 1000 running good again after I moved back to Houston...seemed like the devil was in there somehow..could not get all the little crap dialed in...took me almost 6 weeks...

Eric, I got mine about 1 1/2 years ago.. don't know if there were any changes since then.

When I first got it, I had the common problem with the primers retracting back in with Speer brass, no big deal, quite common, easy to fix (once you know).

I have gone through a couple "hell has taken over the primer assembly" loading sessions. It's definently the weakest link.

I know a guy who bought one in 9mm for his major 9 and has had NO trouble with it.

The only thing hes had to do is adjust the dies and powder measure and adjust the primer seating adjustment to get it to seat the primers a touch deeper.

the 1050 runs SMOOTH! I want one, but need to buy better transportation before i spend that much money on a luxury press.

It's the "I don't want to f-around with another freaking thing" factor. Yeah, a 1050 ain't cheap, but I wish Dillon would have an option where they'd set it up in your caliber with dies, run the thing and ship you a finished, 100% press. It would be a service I'd pay money for.

It's the "I don't want to f-around with another freaking thing" factor. Yeah, a 1050 ain't cheap, but I wish Dillon would have an option where they'd set it up in your caliber with dies, run the thing and ship you a finished, 100% press. It would be a service I'd pay money for.

I agree with you 100%. I had the same issue, especially with primers with my 1050 when it was new. The best advice I could give you is to call Dillon, they will take the time to go over whatever issue you're having. It took two phone calls to learn how to fix my 1050. If you still have problems, send me a PM, I will give you my number I can try to help you.

Sandro

Edited by Sandro

You can't buy a foolproof progressive press anywhere, at any price. Dillon's are among the best you can do, and the 1050 is the top of the line.

They do set up the 1050. Mine was shipped with one primed case, and one with a bullet seated. It ran right from the get go. You do have to learn to keep things running, same as with any press.

+1

Add 10-15% to the cost and I don't care what it costs to ship a taller box.

• 2 weeks later...

EricW,

I am like you. I like stuff that works right out of the box. I try not to dick with it once it is set.

Somehow that attitude change ever so slightly with my 1050. The only time I mess with my 1050 is when I change bullets, I have to check my OAL. My primer system works great, the bell on the brass is perfect, the powder measure is always within my range. I can go out and crank out a couple hundred rounds in a few minutes. Honestly, I can do almost a hundred rounds by the time my auto primer feeder finishes. And I do not even try to hurry.

The 1050 is a lot less work than a 650!!! Buy one. If you have to fuss with it in the beginning fine but usually it runs with minor tweaking of the powder die for the right amount of bell and the seating die.

You can't buy a foolproof progressive press anywhere, at any price. Dillon's are among the best you can do, and the 1050 is the top of the line.

They do set up the 1050. Mine was shipped with one primed case, and one with a bullet seated. It ran right from the get go. You do have to learn to keep things running, same as with any press.

I just got mine last Friday from Brian and had a chance to set it up on Sunday.

Mine was set up right out of the box as well! I really hated removing the seat & crimp dies for my Redding competition and Lee Factory crimp dies. The only thing I have had to do is adjust the primer seat dept to be a bit deeper, and of course adjust "my" dies. The bell is different on the 1050 vs the 550 I had before. So I think I am going to adjust that because I don't think the Redding competition die likes that much bell. But if you use Dillons recomendation of 0.020" of bell it was right out of the box set! On the primer seat depth; I use mixed brass and on some of the older winchester they were just a bit high. Frankly I was worried about the adjustment but boy was it EASY!

Conclusion: My 1050 runs way fast and so far I am very pleased and feel it was worth every penny.

Ira