Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vectan Sp8

revchuck

Folks - This stuff is available from Graf's for $60/8 lbs + shipping and hazmat. It's supposedly in the ballpark of 4756 and Longshot. I'm trying to find out if anyone has tried it, and if so, which calibers and how well does it work?

TIA!

Edited by revchuck

Nobel Sport Vectan SP8 is a double base ball powder developed for use in 9mm military ammo. There is virtually no reloading info for it as Nobel doesn't suggest it for any application other than 9mm. Here are a couple (the only?) of loads for it from the Nobel Sport Handloading Manual. Win 115gr FMJ, 6.8gr, 1181 FPS, Pressure (Bar) 2200. SFM 125gr FMJ, 6.6gr, 1280 FPS, 2000 Bar. With that all over with, I think you'll like the powder, it meters nicely, shoots clean and you can't beat the price. I don't have a crono, but the 115 gr FMJ 6.8 gr load has about the same recoil as WWB. Iv'e only gone up to 7.0 gr (I'm a real wild man :rolleyes:) with that bullet and didn't notice any signs of high pressure YMMV.

SFM 125gr FMJ, 6.6gr, 1280 FPS, 2000 Bar.

Hmmm...

That is, what, 160 pf ?

Seems like it is a medium to slow powder ?

Might prove handy.

(.40AET, how close are you to testing?? I am putting an order in with Graf's next week. :) )

(.40AET, how close are you to testing?? I am putting an order in with Graf's next week. )

The powder arrived yesterday. It's real dense. I could get 10g in a 9mm case and still have plenty of room to seat a bullet. Looks promising if the pressure stays under control. I'm going to try to work up some loads tonight. (Hopefully)

I loaded up two tests last night. So far, so good, but I'm way low. I'll try again tonight. Hopefully the ES will tighten up as the load increases.

Vectan SP8

MG 124g CMJ

OAL=1.175"

Charge=6.8g

Low =1084

Ave= 1125

High= 1185

Ave PF= 139.5

Charge= 7.2g

Low = 1140

Ave= 1181

High= 1219

Ave PF= 146.5

Edited by .40AET

I loaded up a bunch of SP2 to 40 Major back in the day. (Cheap and safe then, even though it was the wrong application for that powder.)

People said it was "dirty" in the 40. But, I used Small Pistol Magnum primers...and, I feel (don't know) that that helped it stay clean.

People say the same/similar for TiteGroup in 45...it is a bit dirty unless you get the pressure up.

(I guess I am saying that the load just might tighen up on ES and such when the pressure gets up a bit ?)

Kirk, if you get the chance, try out some Bill Drills or the like...see how you like it at speed. :)

Yes...thanks a ton.

BTW, I don't know if my math is correct (and there is no way to extrapolate accurate data from a small sample..even assuming it stays linear)...but, it would look like you'd need at least 8.0g to get up to 1350fps ?

Please go slow and check pressure all along the way. Stay safe.

Please go slow and check pressure all along the way. Stay safe.

I'm pretty chicken shit about this "going where no man has gone" stuff. I started real low on purpose. The primers look great and it feels like a steel load.

BTW, I don't know if my math is correct (and there is no way to extrapolate accurate data from a small sample..even assuming it stays linear)...but, it would look like you'd need at least 8.0g to get up to 1350fps ?

I was going to shoot for 8.0g and 8.2g tonight and hit the range again tomorrow. As soon as I get a major load worked up, I'll load up 200 and test them against my current load.

I keep 10 of each load and toss in some spent cases so I can refer to the primers in the future. I'll take pics of the primers after I work up a load.

Thanks for the grattitude. :) It sure makes staying up late more fun.

More chrono work today. The load made major easily at 8.3g. I'll load up a 200 over the weekend for better testin at 8.2g. They shot well, nothing revolutionary. I still like 115's better so I'll work up a load for that next. The primers are a little flat, but certainly no worse than any other major9 load that I've worked up. If it makes major with 115's I'll probably order another 16# of the stuff. The ES tightened up real nice too. I only ran 2 mags of the 8.3g load. It shot the same as any other 124g bullet that I've tested. If you like 124's then you would probably like the powder. I need 4-500 rounds to decide how clean the powder is.

Vectan SP8

MG 124g CMJ

OAL=1.175"

Charge=8.0g

Low =1310

Ave= 1339

High= 1378

Ave PF= 166.0

Charge=8.3g

Low =1360

Ave= 1378

High= 1390

Ave PF= 170.9

ES=30

SD=8

Please keep in mind that I have a 5.4" barrel with NO holes in it. YMMV

• 3 weeks later...
It's right next to Herco for burn rate. Here are links to all the load data on the Nobel sport websight.

Burn Rate Chart

Recomended Usage Chart

Pistol Loads

Rifle Loads

I can't thank you enough. I have some SP2, but I was hesitant to use it, since I didn't have load data. Thanks again. By the way where else can I get more SP2? I know the question of the century.

Thanks again!!! :D

I loaded up a bunch of SP2 to 40 Major back in the day. (Cheap and safe then, even though it was the wrong application for that powder.)

People said it was "dirty" in the 40. But, I used Small Pistol Magnum primers...and, I feel (don't know) that that helped it stay clean.

People say the same/similar for TiteGroup in 45...it is a bit dirty unless you get the pressure up.

(I guess I am saying that the load just might tighen up on ES and such when the pressure gets up a bit ?)

Kirk, if you get the chance, try out some Bill Drills or the like...see how you like it at speed. :)

Thank you, a least I am not alone. I used SP2 on .40 S&W and I didn't find it dirty. The only problem I had was that the loads I tested with my chrono were eratic in velocity. I realized later that I had a lot of unburned powder that would ignite on the following shot and obviously would give me a higher reading. I should have used rifle or magnum primers and I would have possibly solved that problem.

Anyway that was over 5 years ago. It turns out I still have some SP2, but no load data. Due you have data I could use for that powder in .38 Super or can you point me in the right direction.

Also, is anybody importing this powder? I can' t get it from my local supplier.

Thank you for any help you can offer. :)

.38 Super Load Data

Also, is anybody importing this powder? I can' t get it from my local supplier.

Not that I can find. The Vectan powders used to be imported into the US and they stopped a while back. Anything that is left, is the last that you will find until someone makes another agreement with Nobelsport to import the powder again.

The SP8 was used in the first days of shooting major 38 supers in France.

It was one of the only powders easily available for us in the old days, vihtavuori wasn't easy to find. And the pressure were scary at 180 PF. I still got some cases shot at 180 PF with that type of loads, and you'd be very scary too !

Be very careful with this powder, because Nobelsport was not recommanding using this powder as a reloader.

As someone said, this powder was made to load military 9mm NATO loads, and heavy ones ! The ammo issued has to work the MAT 49, the issued submachine gun which needed hot loads, hence the use of SP8.

Be very careful about the stocking conditions of this powder, as its really humidity sensitive.

Maybe now the lowered PF is more in accordance with SP8 properties, but take care !

Be very careful about the stocking conditions of this powder, as its really humidity sensitive.

Julien- Can you elaborate on the humidity issue? It's hot and very humid here in the summer and we have low humidity in the winter. Does the humidity effect the velocity of the powder, or does it make it clump if it's stored in a humid enviornment?

Thanks

The powder tends to agglomerate when subject to humidity. This leads to variations on the charges. If you can store it in a cool temperature regulated room, I think this shouldn't be a problem.

Nobelsport advertised this powder as a high performance powder, but very picky about loading procedures. That's why load datas are so rare.

• 3 weeks later...