Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Vectan Sp8

revchuck

Sorry, I can't say that I've been shooting much this year at all. :( I havn't had some free time to work up a load for the 115's. I'll try to revisit the project soon and get back. If the 115's work, then I'd have something fun to practice with.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got to the range to chrono the 115's. I wasn't thrilled with the primers, although they aren't any worse than the HS-6 at 174pf. I'm going to drop the load down a bit and see what happens. It feels good, if the primers can improve a bit, then it may be a winner.

8.8g SP-8

115g MG CMJ

Lo=1453

Ave=1479

High=1500

SD=13

ES=47

Hummmmm I am wondering how the primers would look with a lighter charge but a 124 grain bullet instead. My gun really likes 124's smile.gif

The first loads that I tested were 124's. 8.2g of SP-8 with a MG 124 cmj and 1.175"oal got me to 169pf. The primers were fine. This was for 9major, might need a little more for a super.

• 2 months later...

[Merged thread]

A local powder dealer has about 24 pounds of Vectan SP-8 on sale for $10/pound. I like the price and after looking around here all I could find were some very favorable posts on SP-2.

I looked at Nobelsport's website and after slogging around for half an hour (should have taken French instead of German in college!) I found a burn rate chart from them:

http://www.nobelsport.fr/nobelsport/fr/sch...vacite_2006.pdf

They have it burning the same as HS-7, SR 4756, and 3N37. It looks like I can come up with a load that makes PF and is safe. Has anyone ever used this powder for their Open .38 Super?

Thanks!

Edited by Flexmoney

Other than Noblesports website, the other charts list SP-8 in the range of HS-6 and N340. It doesn't produce as much gas as N350 or 3N37. I got mine from Graffs (SP?) and it was $7.50 a pound. I don't think it's the "perfect" powder, but it is cheap and it does work. See if you can buy a pound for testing before you get 24# of something that you may not like.

Good luck.

Hey .40AET

Other than Noblesports website, the other charts list SP-8 in the range of HS-6 and N340. It doesn't produce as much gas as N350 or 3N37. I got mine from Graffs (SP?) and it was $7.50 a pound. I don't think it's the "perfect" powder, but it is cheap and it does work. See if you can buy a pound for testing before you get 24# of something that you may not like.

Good luck.

I know you were testing sp8,are you still using it?

Edited by blue edge

I know you were testing sp8,are you still using it?

Yes. But I'm not shooting near as much as I did last year. I haven't had a chance to run 1k through it and see if it's worth the effort. I changed jobs at work and sneaking over to the range just hasn't been easy lately. :wacko:

• 5 months later...

Resurrection!

I've been using this for 9mm minor loads, just because I happen to have so much of it, and it works ok. 4.7 grains of Sp8 behind a 147 grain berry's is softer shooting than 3.6 of clays with a 124 grain precision at least it seems that way to me. I am going to have to change my original "clean burning" assessment to feeeeelthy :) at lower pressures.

Say I have noticed that comparing load data Sp8 seems very similar to "True Blue" at least in 9mm, does anyone have some of both that they could visually compare?

Edited by DarkSmileyX

Say I have noticed that comparing load data Sp8 seems very similar to "True Blue" at least in 9mm, does anyone have some of both that they could visually compare?

They don't look anything alike. True Blue is a tiny ball powder and SP-8 looks more like HS-6. I'm glad someone brought this back up. I shot about 2k rounds of the SP-8 over the winter. It's real clean at major pressures. Burns as clean as any of the Vhit powders that I've shot. It doesn't make enough gas to work the comp as well as HS-6. It is cheap and clean, so it makes a pretty good practice powder. I don't think that I'd use it for a major match though. I've still got a good 6 pounds of it, so I'll be using it for a while.

I got some too, but haven't put it to use yet. I still have a half-jug of SP2 for the open gun, and it's hard for me to get away from TiteGroup for the minor gun.

I do need to get into it and develop a load (or two) though...if for nothing other than practice.

Kyle- You need to let us know which major matches you'll be at with a little more notice. I had a pound of the stuff with me at A8 last year. Had I known that you were there, I gladly would have laid it on you then. If you're going to RO this year at A8, let me know.

I chrono'd some SP-8 loads for my baby minor tonight.

6.0 gr, 124 FMJ MG, 1.150" - 928 fps

Walked into Fred's loading room and we cranked out 3 rounds at:

6.4 gr, 125 FMJ ??, 1.150" - 1132 fps (1132,1132,1131)

-- For comparison --

Win USA 124 gr , 5.9gr Win factory canister, 1133 fps (1134,1133,1133)

PD 124 gr training ammo, 6.3 gr Win canister, 901 fps (906, 877, 920)

Tested last month

Win 115 gr target box - 1052 fps

This is with about 2" worth of barrel.

YRMV

Kenny

• 1 month later...
I'm going to try 6.3g with some Zero 125's to see how I like them for a (minor) practice load.

I'll shoot a few hundred tomorrow, most likely.

YMMV but I got 130 pf from 6.0 behind a 124gr Precision delta 1.15 OAL from a 92fs.